Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can i relocate my ground from the front of the passenger side head down to the motor mount bolt. I would like to clean my engine compartment up a bit. I dont want to cause any problems with my electrical stuff though.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I dont know if that would be good if you have rubber motor mounts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would like to use the bolt holding the motor mount to the subframe because its the lowest and will look the best. I have aluminum heads and was thinking the steel subframe would be a better ground but i am not well schooled in the electrical department.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
I would like to use the bolt holding the motor mount to the subframe ...
Nope :noway:
You don't want to use the 'subframe' as the main ground path.
GM purposely grounds the battery back to the block.
The purpose of the large ground lead is to provide a solid correctly sized return path for the circuit needed for the large amp. draw of the starter - same as the large Positive wire runs directly to the starter ...

Use a bolt that is directly in contact with the block itself (note that the starter is bolted to the bolt ;) ).
And, as mentioned before - be sure to carefully clean the area around the bolt contact at the bolt to be sure you have a good conducting path.
Even if you use a slightly longer main ground lead and run it directly to a bolt at the starter it will still funtion the same.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
How about mounting it to the hole on the front of the block by the fuel pump. I wanted to do the same as you and neaten things up. But there were little issues that I attributed to bad ground. And at the time I had just ground the battery to the inner fender. But since have changed. Problems have gone away.

·
Premium Member
19,618 Posts
I don't know what engine you have but on the SBC the ground should be connected to the water pump bolt. There should be a special water pump bolt with a stud for the ground connection.

Roger

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mine is also a sbc but I am trying to unclutter the engine compartment, so i was hoping to mount it low.

·
Registered
857 Posts
How about mounting it to the hole on the front of the block by the fuel pump. I wanted to do the same as you and neaten things up. But there were little issues that I attributed to bad ground. And at the time I had just ground the battery to the inner fender. But since have changed. Problems have gone away.
this is where mine is and i have no issues!!

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Been there done that.
I have mine routed to the bottom of the alternator mount and route the batt/altrnator wire along it.
Have the grounding straps to the body
20 yrs and no problems...in fact improvement as the the ignition dizzy circuits had direct grounds
When I didnt have the grounding straps the only issue vwas blowing out rear brake blubs over time....the inside of the bulbs had a slivery coating indicating poor ground, too much current and filments vapourising...the engine to body ground straps stopped it.

·
Premium Member
19,618 Posts
I hope you know there is one bolt hole in front of the fuel pump that goes in to the pump rod. Too long of bolt in that hole will damage the rod and maybe the block.

Roger

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Yeah, the lower hole on the block is good. There should be two there.....the upper one goes into the block so it's good to put some Permatex or something on a short bolt and just use it as a plug. The lower one should be a blind hole and a 3/8"-16 x 3/4" bolt should do fine. I run one from the battery to one of the accessory holes on the head by going down and then back up. Then there's another one on the driver's side head that is run to the fender brace bolt. I attached the braided cables on the firewall to the back sides of the heads using the accessory holes and short bolts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do any of you have pictures of your ground cables you could post. are some of you running multiple grounds (batt to engine-engine to body)?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts