Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Interior of my '69 gutted and wanted to replace the dash gauges while adding in console gauges to the new interior. The problem is that I can't seem to get the dash out to get to the old gauges (speedo, gas gauge, etc.) The plasic dash seems to be binding at the lower right hand corner near the ash tray. I have removed 2 small nuts neat the heater control already. The bottom of the heater control also seems to be attached the dash. I have lowered the steering colume already.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

·
11,624 Posts
No69x-44, dash is held on by (viewed from sitting in drivers seat) 2 screws above speedo, 2 screws above fuel/tach, 2 nuts on right side behind dash, 2 screws under radio, 2 screws under wiper switch, one screw on left (with door open).

heater control is held on by one screw on top and 2 screw on bottom.

Make sure heater controls, speedo, radio, and electrical connectors are all disconnected.

If your ashtray was lighted via fiber optics, the optic line runs from the top of the fuel/tach light to the top of the ash tray. Remove carefully before removing dash.

luck

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kevin - Thanks for the reply. I'll have another look at it to make sure I have everything that should be off, off. I just don't want to force anything and then end up snapping something off. I have been putting off the dash because I dread having to deal with the wiring back there and then having to do some mods to get the new console gagues working. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and do it.

I see your right over in Englishtown ... I'm over in Jackson Township. We're just about nieghbors

--Rob

·
11,624 Posts
Rob, closer than you think
I'm really in Millstone (e-town mailing address).

I was at the Jackson outlets cruise night this past friday. I was parked in the first row next to my friends Z-11 and Z-10.

Did you go? It was a nice turnout for the first show.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kevin - Yeah I generally do go to those shows. I missed this one because it was my wife's b-day on Friday. I live right on the Millstone/Jackson boarder so it's real close to me too. That's pretty good show ... For a free one. We'll have to try and hook up at the June event.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kevin - Yeah I generally do go to those shows. I missed this one because it was my wife's b-day on Friday. I live right on the Millstone/Jackson boarder so it's real close to me too. That's pretty good show ... For a free one. We'll have to try and hook up at the June event.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
You might also check to see behind the speedo and gas/tach there is a plastic "bar" that runs across which is held with a screw (I know because I broke mine while removing my dash, didn't know it was there). My wiring harness was snaked thru this, I believe it has clamp of some kind to hold the harness in place. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hotrod/z - Thanks for the tip. That just might be it. I'll have take a better look back there and see what's up.

Kevin - I'll be at the June show ... my car won't, but thanks for the space offer. The car is pretty much gutted right now in my garage. I finally decided after driving it for 10+ years that it was resto. time. Hope to pull the motor this summer. Maybe have it on the road again by Sept. I'll have to see how far the $$$'s go. I have run into a little more rust than I expected. Hate when that happens :rolleyes: Know anybody that can weld :D

I'll be there in June ... I'll have to track you down. I like those shows because there so informal.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kevin - See on the 25th ... at the outlets. As for the Mig Welding, I have thought about trying to learn it. Seems like it would be a handy skill to have. Only think is, to get a machine worth while, I think would have additional power to my garage. It's all 110 out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts