Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm trying to install a reproduction wheel on the camaro I just got, and
I've run into a problem when removing the silly looking old racing wheel.
The metal middle piece that slides over the gear is stuck. I'm not sure
how to get the thing off. Is there some special screw I'm missing, or do I
just have to pry like hell? I'm really hoping the previous owner didn't beat
that piece on with a hammer, because it'll be twice as hard to get off.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
So I'm trying to install a reproduction wheel on the camaro I just got, and
I've run into a problem when removing the silly looking old racing wheel.
The metal middle piece that slides over the gear is stuck. I'm not sure
how to get the thing off. Is there some special screw I'm missing, or do I
just have to pry like hell? I'm really hoping the previous owner didn't beat
that piece on with a hammer, because it'll be twice as hard to get off.

You need to use a steering wheel puller to remove the piece in question....do not try to pry it loose/off,you can damage the column. To get the steering wheel puller to work correctly you'll probably have to reattach the steering wheel to the piece in your picture.

David F.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. While I was waiting on replies, I went out there with a clamp, grabbed on, and pulled like hell. Much to my surprise, it slid off! I hope I didn't damage anything, but I doubt I did since it slid right off. The new one was much easier to put back on. Thanks again, lesson learned.:beers:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The theory behind using a steering wheel hub puller is that the large center bolt reacts directly on the steering shaft. So when the tool pulls the hub off the shaft, there are no forces directed into the steering column bearings. When you just yank on the hub to make it come off the steering column steering shaft, you are pulling directly on the bearing(s) that support the steering shaft. This could cause those bearings to feel rough when you turn your steering wheel.

Jim

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
BTW, even though the tool is pretty simple and straight forward. One thing to really check closely. Make sure that the attaching bolts are the same length and that they are threaded into the hub the same amount. Then make sure that the tool is really square to the hub and steering shaft as you begin to apply force to the connection. Just a slight cocking of the tool and you run the risk of breaking the attaching bolts right at the hub. (Don't ask me how I know!)
Jim

·
Premium Member
6,067 Posts
^^^ Yep, I borrowed one from Advance Auto parts. leave $20 deposit....

Strage thing is that you can buy one for $20. lol. I guess they have a lot of people buying them, using them once, and then returning them.
I just saw one in the Summit tools circular for about $11!:)

·
Registered
374 Posts
^^^ Yep, I borrowed one from Advance Auto parts. leave $20 deposit....

Strage thing is that you can buy one for $20. lol. I guess they have a lot of people buying them, using them once, and then returning them.
it is to cover the cost of the tool should someone decide to keep it. then it is just like you purchased it. You are actually buying the tool, then returning it when you want to. so if it isn't returned they don't have to hunt you down!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I plan to replace the steering wheel on my 69 Camaro SS. Does the center piece that activates the horn on the OEM steering just pop-off, or is there a trick to removing it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts