Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

My paint guy talked me into removing the body from the subframe.
Would it work out better if I installed subframe connectors before I did this? Something tells me it would be easier to put the body back on if I did, but I am not sure.

Thanks.

·
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
890 Posts
I don't really see the difference either way. As long as the car is straight everything should just literally bolt back together. Pulling the front clip is not hard either and there are multiple threads on the subject.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
I have already removed the front clip (piece by piece).
I have also taken off the doors and stripped the interior.
My paint guy said since I already went that far I should just take the rest of the body off. It made sense to me.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Are you going with weld in subframe connectors or the bolt in style? The welded ones usually require cutting and fitting of the floor pans and if you are having the bottom of the car painted you would want to have them in before the paint.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip on the weld in connectors. I will be installing new floor pans and I would hate to have to cut them up, so I am leaning towards the bolt in ones.

I have a stupid question....can the bolt in connectors be welded once they are bolted in place?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Competition Engneering makes a good bolt in set of subframe connectors that a lot of guys on this site use and are happy with. They are a great improvement over factory (no connectors) but don't quite give the stiffness of weld on. You can weld them in after they are bolted on if you want. Summit has them. Good Luck

·
Welcome Back - Senior Tech
890 Posts
What I don't understand is why you couldn't get DSE's great connectors and instead of run a full bead on them just spot weld them in 8-10 places. Then if you ever needed to remove the subframe all you'd have to do is grind a few welds down and you'd be good.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Look into the 21ST CENTURY STREET MACHINE connectors
I put them on my 67 no floor cutting ,they get welded to front subframe, rear frame rails & rocker panel .
If car is painted you will have to repaint areas where welding
I helped a friend put (they were either global west or detriot speed which are very much alike) & I liked 21st better

1 - 9 of 9 Posts