Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 with a mint headliner (that's about the only mint part the car has). I'd like to remove/re-use it? Is this even possible? I did a search and only came up with installing not removal?? Is there a thread I overlooked?

Any help would be great

·
Super Moderator
32,440 Posts
The reason you didn't find anything on removal is b/c one takes a razor knife to the old one to remove since it is going to be replaced.

Remove the rear view mirror, sun visors, shoulder belt clips, rear sail panels, clothes hanger clips, interior light, and pull gently on the plastic/rubber edge trim around the perimeter of headliner including windows.

The cloth or edge of the 'liner is folded over and "catches" on little formed "teeth." The cloth is stretched and rolled over the edge and caught on these teeth. It may be hard to release the cloth from these teeth.

Once the edges of the cloth is hanging, take a clashing spray bomb paint color and paint/mark the locations on the steel bows onto the roof panel. This will help in the installing of bows & 'liner later.

The determining factor on saving the 'liner for later would be for you to remove the window trim piece from the inside and look at the attachment method I am trying to explain. Remember, when you're installing an "installed h/liner," it will be difficult to roll the cloth over the edge to 'catch the teeth' b/c you have to stretch the material from the center and roll onto at the same time.

My fingers, especially my thumbs, were very sore. There probably is a tool for rolling the cloth.

Good luck.....

·
Registered
503 Posts
Wear a dust mask when you take the headliner down. There's asbestos insulation in the roof panel above it, and more than likely there will be dust. I didn't know about this until after I had removed mine.

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Everret: I need to locate the location for the coat hoos to be replaced. Can I just pull the trimm off in taht area and fine it easily?
Gary

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Ditto Ron!! I found a huge mouse nest (made out of my former rear seat!!) and a couple of dead mice up in my headliner. And dust!! Oh man, was there dust!! :eek:

Gary L:

The best way to find the coat hooks etc. is to install all the screws before installing the headliner. As you stretch the liner in you can feel around for the screws and make a small razor cut to back them out through. Once the headliner is in, it's a real PITA to fish for the hardware mounting holes!!

Paul D.

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Do I risk tearing my headliner to remove the edging and pulling it back? It is not original, it is a replacement.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't think until after i should have soaked it with interior dressing so it wouldn't be as brittle. I put a tiny tear in it so I might try the dressing as a last resort i guess

if all else fails i'll order a new one

·
Super Moderator
32,440 Posts
It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to place a piece of masking tape on the lower window sill directly below the accessory screwed to the roof and use a makeshift plumb bob to mark the location.

I used a needle to find the holes for them. Once found the hole, then attach the accessory to the roof.

Yes, you can pull off the trim and take a peek at the liner and its attachment to the roof. The more research you do, the better the decision making later.

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of where the coat hooks mount? I need to start somewhere. :confused:

Gary

[ 02-24-2004, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Gary L ]

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Gary,
My coat hook is exactly 13 1/8th inches center to center behind the rear seatbelt clip screw. Also the four seatbelt clip screws are in the same line horizontally as the coat hook screw.
Doug

·
Premium Member
10,080 Posts
Doug: Would that put the hook hiding behind the shoulder belt? I feel a flat spot behind the headliner. I guess that I will take it slow and search a little first. Thanks.
Gary

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Gary,
Yes, the hook is behind the shoulder belt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts