Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of doing some dash and instrument restoration on a 69 vert. This will include changing the fuel guage to a factory tach and installing the autometer guage pod. Also I wouldn't mind getting everything out for cleaning and checking connections. I have the dash pad off and loosened the main cluster. I thought this was just a cover but everything is attached ie. heating controls, speedo, lights, etc. It does not want to pull out due to all connections. Am I missing something? Do I have to disconnect everything from the back first. The heating controls look miserable. Any tips?

·
Registered
955 Posts
You do have to remove the heater controls from the back of the carrier or unhook the cables from the controls. Disconnect and remove the radio, remove the headlight switch and disconnect the wiper switch. Unplug the instrument wiring harnesses and disconnect the speedo cable. There are some screws on the underside of the carrier that secure the lower edge to the dash support metal as well as the upper ones that secure it to the upper dash metal and a couple on the left side. You also have to remove the lower steering column cover. I may have missed a couple of things but I think that's most of it.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
I think there are 3 screws attaching that heater control panel to the dash cluster. Remove those screws and the heater controls will stay in the car. Unplug the speedo cable by pushing in on the clip that attaches it an pull out the cable. You will also need to remove the plastic cover under the steering column and remove the three nuts holding the steering column up. Then you can let the column sag enough when you are removing the cluster. Most of the harness is just a plug in that you will see. Don't give up.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Like clill said you are going to have to drop the steering column some to get it out. You are not far from getting it out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.