Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the above on a '69 smallblock. When it was installed I had the engine etc. out of the car. Now I am replacing the trans and clutch with the engine in the car and the scatter shield is difficult to remove because 2 of the bolts are hard (read nearly impossible) to remove.

On the drivers side is a bracket very close to a bolt that makes access from under the car difficult. I had to grind some of this bracket off to get a wrench on the bolt.

On the passenger side one of the bolts is so close to the housing that a socket wrench will not go on the bolt head.

When the shield goes back on it will have allen head bolts instead of the hex heads.

Hope this helps someone, Ray
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
10,147 Posts
Check that you have the correct motor and frame mounts. It sounds like you have something wrong.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 Origonal owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,920 Posts
I agree with David. Sound like the wrong motor mounts. I use this set up on a 68 with about 2" of clearance and have no problems taking out the scattershield by myself. I'm using a block plate as well which sets its a little closer to the firewall. Mac or Snap-on offset open end wrench is a valuable tool for the bolts that you get to from the top of the engine. Now if I could just get my clutch linkage geometry right with the Lakewood I'd be all set. But that's another issue.

Check the archives here because the motor mount issue has been talked about many times recently regarding the engines setting too close to the firewall. Might look for HEI distributor clearance problems in the archives as many guys have posted the motor mount problems as HEI clearance problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
755 Posts
I have my trans (Richmond 5 speed) out of my car now for re-sealing. I've done this several times and always have the same clearance issues with those 2 bolts. I know my mounts are correct (I checked the p/n) so I figured it was just a Lakewood problem. I replaced mine with allen bolts and it seems to work fine.

I have been looking at that damn bracket on the bellhousing and fondling my Sawzall. I think it's time for it to go.
I don't know why I didn't get rid of it sooner.

I'm also tired of cleaning all the road crap out of the bellhousing so I fabricated a small housing to hold the stock dust boot over the fork. It's a tight fit against the floor but I think I finally got it right. I drilled and tapped some holes to attach it and I should be able to get the trans back in soon all sealed up nicely.

Speaking of R&R activity with the tranny - I have always just used the standard floor jack and balanced the tranny on the steel pad. This time around I tried one of those adjustable trans holders. It works great except for the fact that it sets the trans so high that my car needs to be on a lift to get the tranny and jack under the car! So I welded up some angle iron and scrap steel strap and made a low profile holder. What a difference! It's almost fun now to install the tranny. It's definitely easy. BTW - I found with this bellhousing it's far easier to just yank the distributor and let the motor sag in the motor mounts. It gives you plenty of clearance for that big old fat bellhousing and you don't have to worry about tweaking the distributor.

------------------
Scott
'69 400SB, Richmond 5-speed
www.geocities.com/sdenning1
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top