Discussion Starter #1
Awhile back I asked how to remove the lock mechanism. I was told to:
1. Remove the locking plate with the special tool
2. Place the key in the Run position
3. Remove the key minder contact
4. Remove the locking screw
5. Pull out the tumbler assembly

Well, I got #1 and #2, but:
1. Where's the key minder contact? If the locking pin is at 12 O'clock, there is a small spring, or something at about 1 O'clock. I tried to pull it out, but was afraid to pull too hard.
2. Where is the locking screw? Do I have to remove the turn signal cam?
I took the column to a locksmith, but he wanted $20.00. I thought that was high, so I thought I'd do it myself. Maybe $20.00 was cheap!!!!
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
The 3 screws for the TS switch must be removed, and the switch assy pulled out just far enough to get to the key minder.

With the key in the run position, use needle nose to pull out contacts and spring clip retainer.

Then the lock cylinder screw can be taken out.

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTophttp://hometown.aol.com/zz430droptop67rs
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS/Z28
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS/Z28

·
Registered
145 Posts
There is a small slot in the housing that you use to get access to the release spring latch on the cylinder. You have to use a small screwdriver. If the lock has never been taken out, there will probably be a small pc of flashing in the slot that will have to be removed to get to the release latch. If you have a shop manual, it will explain this and show pictures. You really need a shop manual. It is worth the 30.00!!
Good luck.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ZZ and Yogi,
Thanks for the help, I got it out. BTW, I got a shop manual a week or so ago, on ebay. Just waiting for it to arrive.

In case someone else searches this topic, there is no retaining screw on my 69, as suggested by ZZ. All the instructions were correct up to that point.

I got mine out, by following ZZ's instructions (except for the retaining screw part,) and Yogi's instructions to chip through the flash with a screwdriver, and then insert the screwdriver to depress the little spring loaded retainer clip. With the clip depressed, the lock assembly pulls right out.
Thanks to both ZZ and Yogi, for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts