Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new front engine wiring harness in earlier this week and tomorrow I'm going to attempt removing the old and insatlling the new. Could anyone give me some tips/advice on what to look out for during this process? The old wires are so brittle and break like dried out twigs.

My goal is to lay out the new harness inside the engine compartment and hook up a new component after removing the old one. One problem I do have is there are a few wires that have broken off and I have no idea what they went to so Im hoping I can figure this out.

Also...are there any hazards I should look out for when removing the old harness from the fuse panel? Thanks.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
I was just wondering what you were up to.

First leave the old harness in place. It will serve as the best visual installation guide you could have.

Next lay out the new harness on the floor and study the connections and follow the AAW installation guide. Dry run the install in your head.

Then get the AIM out and look for the connections you have already lost if the AAW guide didn't enlighten you as to what was missing.

When you have rehearsed it a few times move the new harness to the engine bay and lay it on top of the old one. you can use zip ties or baggie wire twists to temporally hold it on top of the old harness in places where it will want to slide off.

Then leg by leg starting from the firewall bulkhead connector work your way out front and to the left, and from the connector to the left for engine and senders. Cut back or pare off the off sections as you complete new wire runs.

I have done this many times on other projects, computers, appliances etc and never blown up the place yet. :)

Take your time - do it right :disco:

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pace. It's good to know that I can always count on your sound advice.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Just paying forward Dean, we were all once in your shoes. My Uncle Henry helped me out on my first major projects on my 72 Impala when I was in high school. I learned a lot from him about maintenance but also learned from him that you should never think that you know it all. Always be willing to learn and share your knowledge. Its good karma too.

Harness should be a good project for you. You might also want to take as many pictures as you think you need for the tight, hard to get to areas, then take some more. LOL you can never have enough angles of how something was.

Shout out (PM) if you get in a rough patch - but you should be okay if you take your time and concentrate on one connection or group lead at a time. Double check it before you remove the old and your good to go.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
x2 on 69s comments and there is no such thing as too many pics.

Let us know how you did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts