Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to attempt to remove my old rear quarters (which are new) --I'll explain later...

I have a 1969 Camaro Coupe with two sets of rear quarters on it. Yes--two:confused: I have no idea what the previous owner was thinking, but I would like to remove "them all" and start fresh. I think they are actually 80% skins that were welded over the original rusties.

Anyway, now that you know the background, where should I begin in removing them? I know the door jambs are spot welded. You take it from here... :)

Looking forward to your inputs. Anxious to start the teardown...

Todd

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes. I need to. (See photobucket album) ;)

I actually have (well, only driver side now) TWO SETS OF REAR QUARTER PANELS on the car. The previous owner actually thought to just weld the 80% skin right over the old original --which only really needed the outer wheel well edge and louver areas to be repaired. The rest of the quarters were solid and clean! never hit too. Check out my new album on photobucket:

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm298/6781camaro/1969 Camaro SS350/

OR THE SLIDESHOW AT:

I just started today on the removal of the outer skins that he (dingbat) welded on. I want to tackle the driver's side tomorrow and then carefully remove the full original quarter on each side. I also will be welding in new trunk side drop-offs, full trunk floor, rear tail panel, upper rear filler panel, outer wheel houses and full floor and rocker panels. It was a Connecticut car, so it needs attention.

Where should I start? (on the rear quarter panel removal specifically)

* I will be posting all progress on that photobucket album as I go along. I thought everyone would enjoy and maybe benefit from my photos and info.

Thanks
Todd

·
Registered
360 Posts
Get out your sawsall and start cutting off quarters, go slow cutting
into door jamb area, don't cut into c pillar brace, take off pieces
and grind off metal in spot weld areas. Be carefull of areas on
your old trunk rails they sometimes can be rusty and weak. I replaced
all and more to my 69. Keep car level and even run plum bobs to
floor. Not hard to do just takes time. Use clamps and screws and
keep adjusting till you are sure of all fitting then weld!! Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
I removed mine. There really isn't one particular place that is best to start. Like Bill said, just work your way around the outer edges. Carefully remove the qtr and leave the underlying parts untouched as much as possible. The sail panel part will be the most difficult. YOu will need a spot weld cutter for that part for sure (or at least I did). Most of the rest of it can be done with a die grinder. Your qtr is also probably spotted to the structural support where the door latch is, so you will want to take you time and carefully remove it from there too. This isn't hard to do, just take you time and it will all make sense once you start removing the old parts. The qtr is just an outer shell on the body structure.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Gambitt,

I'm in the midst of removing and replacing full quarters, actually i've already removed one and i'm looking at the sail section near the side window and i can't see any clear indications in between the "gutter" and qtr panel for spot welds. Do i need to wire brush some more before they become apparent?

Thanks
Tony

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
The qtr has a very small lip on it that lays down in the gutter. I think I was able to just pull that piece out with pliers. I don't remember it being spotwelded down in that area, but I could be wrong. Do you have all of the seam sealer cleaned out of that area?

I can try to take some pictures of what I am talking about when I get home later today if that will help you out any...my qtr has not been seam sealed in that area yet.

·
Premium Member
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gambitt,

I'm in the midst of removing and replacing full quarters, actually i've already removed one and i'm looking at the sail section near the side window and i can't see any clear indications in between the "gutter" and qtr panel for spot welds. Do i need to wire brush some more before they become apparent?

Thanks
Tony
Tony

That was going to be my next question. The roof rail channels... what is the best way to remove those?

I removed the outer skins that were welded right over my original quarters. Now I that I decided to put full quarters on, I need to remove the old full quarter at all the seams. The only worry I have are the roof rails.

Todd

·
Registered
713 Posts
Tony

That was going to be my next question. The roof rail channels... what is the best way to remove those?

I removed the outer skins that were welded right over my original quarters. Now I that I decided to put full quarters on, I need to remove the old full quarter at all the seams. The only worry I have are the roof rails.

Todd
You have to remove the roof and the quarter panel to remove the drip rails. They are spot welded about every 3". Only the ones on top and rear come off.....the ones on the front of the car by the windshield are part of the door jamb/pillar support.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
thanks Gambitt,

Any pictures would help. i used my die grinder the cut the old qtr off but i didn't cup up to the drip channel or the roof material i left some material to play safe with. But to insert the new qtr that extra material i left now needs to go and i'm trying to figure out how. I liked your suggestion of pliers but still very cautious.

Tony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts