Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I just got a new steering wheel for my 3rd gen. I believe my model camaro was the first to come with an airbag on the drivers side, so I have a bit of an issue, I need to know how to safely deactivate and remove the steering wheel with the airbag intact, I know theres one there because the wheel looks like it has one, and theres a yellow wire underneath near the fusebox tha says AIRBAG. so I need to know, do i cut the wire, wat do i do??

------------------
1990 Camaro IROC-Z 305 TPI.

www.geocities.com/camaromandan/home.html

·
Registered
503 Posts
Buy a manual to see how to remove the air bag because you dont want it going off in your face. By all means dont cut any wires because that can cause the air bag to go off. If not disconnected the right way an air bag can go off from static electricity.

------------------
70 camaro 307 (350soon) /350th

·
Registered
207 Posts
see all these years i was right those things are like a bomb ready to go off

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just to let you know, in most states if your car was equipped with an airbag and you remove it you will fail a safety inspection if your state has one.
If you still want to remove the airbag then disconnect the battery and leave it alone for a few minutes. The airbag system will keep enough juice to fire it just in case the battery is damaged(accident). Then remove the wiring, inflation tubes(if equipped) and control module.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just disconnect the Batt and wait a few minutes for the capacitors to discarge any stored electricity. Then just remove the unit from the steering wheel by taking out a couple of screws (or nuts) and unplug the electrical connection from it. If your planning on deleting it (may be illegal in some states) you may have to track down the control module and unplug it to get the air bag light to go off in the dash (or remove the bulb).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts