Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have my transmission out of the car to replace the clutch and I wanted to update the front retainer nut and gasket since I had a slight leak and it was out anyways. I also ordered a new front bearing since it looked worn out. I had no problem getting the nut off but how do I remove the bearing? Do I have to take of the rear part of the case and pull out the input shaft? Thanks for any advice you may have!

·
Super Moderator
32,996 Posts
Stand the trans upright on its bellhousing face.
Since bearing retainer is off, the tube the throw out bearing slides on is off, pull out the input shaft carefully.
With the shaft will come the roller bearings in the back of the input shaft.
Since retainer nut is off, bearing should slide off shaft. May have to have a press to pull off, but unlikely.

Assembly is the opposite.
Install bearing and retaining nut.
Smear heavily, wheel bearing grease into the shaft hole, slide in the rollers,
Reinstall shaft back into trans and bolt in place.

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
Sorry Everett, you cannot remove the maindrive gear from the front of any Muncie. There would be the cluster and maindrive gear engagement interference.

An easier way to remove the front bearing is to use two pry bars with the same angle under the snap ring and pop the front bearing off the maindrivegear. Good job removing the nut, make sure the bevel is out when you install the new nut.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
You do have the special super thin wrench for tightening the front nut when you put it back together right ? Or are you gonna bugger it all up with a hammer & chisel like the last guy on 90% of the Muncies I've ever taken apart... :( The roller bearings Everett mentioned are not caged bearings and if you pull the input shaft out too far they will all fall inside & you will have a huge problem to deal with. As Jody says the gear won't allow you to pull it all the way out but you need to try not to let it move much at all or it might be possible to dislodge those rollers. 17 of the little buggers if I remember correctly but it's been a LONG time. Replacing those requires complete dissasembly. Someday when I'm dead & gone someone will be sorting through my toolbox & wondering why the hell I have 7/8 & 1" diameter sections of broomstick in one of the drawers.. Hell I bet 95% of you guys don't know either.. but Jody does. :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replys. I appologize but I said the wrong part name. I am trying to change out the input bearing, the one at the very front of the case. Is it possible to pop that out the front without a full disassembly? I have read about changing out the needles and I was hoping to not get that into the case :). I do have the special wrench and new front and side gaskets to put it together again. I was planning to do the rear gaskets as well but I would rather not dive in that deep. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
11,170 Posts
Thanks for all the replys. I appologize but I said the wrong part name. I am trying to change out the input bearing, the one at the very front of the case. Is it possible to pop that out the front without a full disassembly? I have read about changing out the needles and I was hoping to not get that into the case :). I do have the special wrench and new front and side gaskets to put it together again. I was planning to do the rear gaskets as well but I would rather not dive in that deep. Thanks again!
I have replaced this input shaft ball beaing before but once you have removed the nut, you have to really hold that input gear all the way up in its place to keep those rollers in position.

The bearing stamped (stamped 207 or 307?) has retainer rings on it, you can pry side to side with small screw drivers and wiggle the bearing off. Watch out for a bearing shim about .030 behind it, some had these , some didn't.

Its critical movement but it can be done.

Really a good time to just take the whole trans apart and inspect the other rollers and rear bearing. Slip on the front input and you will be doing it.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
If you're replacing gaskets & removing the tail housing it's a great time to replace the tailhousing bushing & the small seals around the shafts in the sidecover & reverse shaft.

·
Super Moderator
32,996 Posts
So does grease, a light coat. Thanks, Jody, for the reminder, it has been a while since I tore one apart, say 30 years? Now as you mention it, yes input gear is larger than the trans case hole, so you are correct, disassembly is required from the rear. Everything else in the trans was/is a slip fit.

However, Erik, if you're going in deep, might as well replace the synchro rings or synchro assemblies, if needed. I will suggest you lay out the parts as removed in sequence to help you upon reassembly. A life saver. Good luck in your journey.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts