Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 coupe, installing poly bushings. have removed the lower a arm. Have removed the two top bolts. Now what? Rubber bushings are in there pretty good. Any advice welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Wow, the metal banging is still present in my ears. What I did the other day was; with the lower, bigger ones, I drilled the rubber and hit the centers with a rod and a hammer. The outer shell, I bent the outer area with a chisel, in an imaginary line, then they came out easy, cause their outside diameter was diminished. For the upper, smaller ones, I used the same chisel, and hit the bushing's outer metal flange all around. Those were a easier to remove. Hope I made myself understand... Good luck and use safety glasses.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just did mine and I know what you mean. I drilled all around the rubber part and they came right out. Then I used a saw saw (very carefully) and cut the metal part of the bushing and then was able to chisel them out. It didn't take long and it's better than burning them out like someone suggested. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys, I haven't got that far yet. I am asking how you get the upper a arm out of the car. Do you need to remove the two nuts holding the rod that holds the upper a arm? My header is in the way of the rear bolt. So I am assuming you need to loosen the header? Do the bolts that hold the rod come out? This would mean I wouldn't need to loosen the header.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
They come out if you can tap them carefully from the front, but having the header there isn't gona help. They have some knurling under the bolt's head, so they are a tight fit. Don't turn/rotate them around or you may damage the knurling or the shaft hole.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry we were ahead of you. I worked my control arms out and then found out the bolts do come out. They are kind of pressed in with splines all around them. After I got my control arms out I then put a nut on the very end and tapped them out with a hammer. When I reinstalled the control arms I put them in first and then put in the bolts and drew them in with the nuts it was much easier. To get your control arms out try putting a nut on the end of the bolt and tap them out.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it , thanks . I brought my upper to carquest and they removed and installed the bushings for 7 bucks each. I will do the same on the uppers. I put in a new moog lowere ball joint. Much nicer than the cheapy that was in.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I am just finishing up the project that you spoke of. If you have a reliable shop that can do it reasonable that is great, if not you can take a 4' pc of 2-3 " pipe with washers and run a bolt through the bushing and pull them out with a ratchet. Works really well and don't require any burning of rubber or sawing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts