Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of ralleys that I want to run on my vehicle this season and want them to have a little more pop to them. Has anyone media blasted and repainted their ralleys using duplicolor chrome paint? I was also planning on clear coating them as well. Just wondering how they turned out? PICS??????

Thanx for any help that can be given.

T

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
If you are going to rattle can them and want the look of the original “Argent Silver” use Duplicolor DPE 112 dull aluminum. Media or sand blasting them is the best way to clean them up. I personally would not clear coat them because it will make them too glossy.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
My experience with the "Chrome" spray paints is, they tend to be sorta 'blochy' or streaky when applied if conditions aren't perfect or your technique is off a bit ...
Steve's advice on the 'clear' is right on - unless you are going for the "wet look" on them all the time, the gloss clear will look funny and tend to yellow over time.
You might consider using a "satin" or "semi-gloss" clear instead if you are looking to seal the paint surface for easier cleaning and chip resistance.
Look for some of the newer Urethane type clears in spray cans at the hardware stores. These are excellent top coats and don't have the same problems with yellowing that the enamel types do.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanted something alot brighter/shiny than argent silver - thats why I was thinking of going this route. I know I can buy the chrome ralleys - but fundage is a little tight so I was thinking this might work for this season as I already have the rims & tires.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sir ... I have painted a set of Ralley wheels (argent silver) of course ... Don't use lacquer as when I installed the caps and rings the paint chips off ... If you should rattle can them, choose enamel ... BUT !!!!!!!!! ... What I have done since (my SS Wheels) ... I located a local business specializing in POWDER COATING ... This particular business Blasted the wheels AND powder coated them for $50.00 per wheel (the time you'll spend on the project is worth it)and powder coating is MUCH MUCH MUCH tougher than rattle can paint ... AND ... There are as many colors available as rattle can paint AND there is a chrome simulation available too!!! ... If that is your choice, that's what I'd do ... Good luck ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts