Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever repaired or had repaired cast exhaust manifolds? the original ones for my ss-350 are cracked and I've been looking for about 6 monthes for replacements, my dates are early(J318) that's why it's tough to find.
Skip

·
Super Moderator
32,472 Posts
A good cylinder head repair shop would be a good place to start.

It is an art learned, experience counts.

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR APPEAR QUICKLY UPON RAPID DECELERATION"

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I don't know if you have a perfect resto or not but the manifolds will definately show where they were repaired.

[This message has been edited by oger (edited 11-21-2002).]

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
That's funny. I thought that manifolds were irrepairable
I was always told that if I ever find one that is cracked or damaged, to disgard and replace it. (New if possible)

------------------
Chasing a dream one bolt at a time

·
Super Moderator
32,472 Posts
Skip, have you looked in/at www.hemmings.com ?

Cast iron can be welded, but, takes a good welder. Manifolds can be fixed.

Provide a 3/8 inch min thickness steel plate to bolt the manifold onto after "Veeing" out the break 1/2-2/3rds the thickness on both sides. Be sure there is a good size hole for the torch to get 360 deg rotation. Place into a heavily heated (gas oven-fired 55-gal drum) oven and let it become cherry red. Weld up joint in the oven with steel rod. Let sit for another hour in oven to stress relief itself. Turn off oven, let cool overnight.

Definately will be repair scar, but, Eastwood's exhaust manifold paint will cover it up well.

My uncle used to repair tractor heads, transmission cases, and other cast items in Iowa when I was younger.

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR APPEAR QUICKLY UPON RAPID DECELERATION"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts