Both of the tabs the hold the lower steering column cover on the dash are broken off of mine. Does anyone have any good ways to fix these? I really don't want to pay $200+ for another used one.
I had the same problem and tried several fixes before finding one that has lasted. I found this stuff at the local parts counter. It's a 2 part putty (almost like clay - gray in the center and black on the outside) that you work together and can mold into the shape you want. It's in a roll, kind of like slice and bake cookies but about the size of a roll of life savers.
I cleaned off the area where the broken tabs are with laquer thinner then sliced of a small amount of this putty and worked it good mixing the 2 parts in my hands. when the color was constant I formed a new tab and molded it into place. Be careful about the tab size as you want the cover to fit in place and you also don't want any of the area that show after the cover is in place to look bad. I did the tabs one at a time not wanting to be rushed if this stuff hardened quicker than I could work it. I used an exacto knife and as it started to harden some shapped it a bit. Also I drilled the mounting hole before the new tab was completely hard. Don't expect to screw into this stuff, make the hole large enough for the screw to fit through. Use a clip nut (is that what they are called) and don't over tighten when you install the cover. Mines been on for over a year now...
I wonder if the POR putty would do the same thing? Its 2 parts, rubbed in your hands, forms to anything, dries rock hard, can be drilled, tapped. I have to form the hole that rides next to the steering column on my dash guage cluster, one of the plastic tabs broke off there, so I will try the POR putty and report back when its done, someday.
Let us know how it works for you Heretic.
I've used something similar for an upper tab. It was a 2-part plastic repair compound. It was in a large 2 cylinder syringe with one plunger. Squeeze it (the liquid) out and mix. I waited until it began to harden, then dabbed it into the area needed. Once completely dry (it was white), I used my 'dremel' tool to grind it into the shape needed. It was messy afterward but I just vaccummed up the dust. Like Dennis, I formed it until I could fit a 'screw nut' over it to accept the screw. Worked great.
'69 Z11 Pace Car, 350/4 speed, manual top, console w/gauges, tilt rosewood wheel, AM radio
I just picked up a tube of PRO POXY 20 by Hercules. Says it makes steel hard repairs in 20 minutes. It is a single stick/steel reinforced/epoxy putty. Sounds like overkill but it sounds like what Dennis was talking about. Also to add to what Dennis was saying about shaping, you could file this stuff as well.
[This message has been edited by 69Z28 (edited 01-30-2003).]
A forum community dedicated to 1st generation Chevy Camaros owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, builds, restoration, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, reviews, and more!