Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have finally started to tear my 68 SS/RS apart for restoration after all these years and as I was pulling the drive train I noticed my crappy slapper bars have bent the lief springs. Can a spring place fix these or are they now junk? I really wanted to keep the original springs under the car.

Thanks in advance,
:beers:

·
Super Moderator
32,285 Posts
Spring company might be able to fix the main leaf, but once its bent, it has a permanent set.
You're missing a bolt from the front spring hangar.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
I dont think it will hurt the value of the car if you replace them!!

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I noticed the bolt was gone when I took the pic, the car is long overdue to be restored. I started to tear it down the last couple of evenings and hope to be able to mount the body on the rotisserie this weekend.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Yes it can be fixed, and should be fine. If you are worried about it being weaked you could always add a leaf that extends out toward the eyes, between the master leaf and 2nd leaf. Or get new springs...

Mark

·
10,142 Posts
If you want to do without traction bars, just replace the leafs with Global West, Hotchkis, or DSE leaf springs that won't require an added traction device. They look fairly stock and will hook up that BB engine without wheel hop.
David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts