Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
You have to remove the steering wheel, to remove the lock assembly. Before I removed it, I'd try lubing the key with lithium grease, several times. Then I'd check the ignition switch, which is located on the top of the column. Maybe take the linkage loose, adn see if the key turns freely.
If all that fails, then, I'd tackle the lock assembly.

Do a search, I got great advice, when I replaced mine. Borrow a tool from auto zone, to compress the lock plate, then remove the spring clip. The trick is to punch out a small piece of flash, to allow access to the release button. But you gotta know where it is. If you get to that point, just tap a small screwdriver in all small recesses, unbtil yo get the right one...it will punch right out with light taps!

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
If you mean it's difficult to turn it to the "Lock" position so you can get the key out, your interlock linkage probably is out of adjustment (assuming it's still there). If the interlock linkage is gone (headers, etc.), you have to have the lever at the bottom of the steering column wired in the full "up" position (and no backup lights) or turn the collar in front of the steering wheel fully counter-clockwise with your hands when you want backup lights or to remove the key.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.