Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about two years ago or so I installed my OER complete weatherstripping kit and the door seals were terrible (so i thought)...as I've always had to vigorously slam the doors to get them to close flush with the quarter panels and glass.

I called and got classic industries to refund me for the door seals and I placed an order with Tamaraz for Metro Soft Seals as that's what everyone has recommended.

I installed the passenger side last night and I honestly have the same problem!! Just as bad!

what next? I don't even want to finish the car and assemble interior and door panels with doors like this! I cant imagine everyone has to slam so hard!!! Its terrible.

thank you!

James

·
Registered
80 Posts
James, For what it’s worth it’s not just you. I have OER seals as well and Ive had the same problem. Over the last few months they have set in and gotten a little bit better but are still not acceptable. There’s got to be a better option!

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
James, close your doors . The summer heat will help a bit. They should soften up some. Mine were a little tight when first installed. They are fine now. The summer heat will help too. Keep in mind that these doors will never open and close like a new car. The Metro trunk seal is the best though. Look and function like the original. The hollow core is the trick there.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,990 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Garth,

I most certainly got Metro : ) I still have the authentic packaging and all! Idk maybe they will loosen up and break in a little bit. Fingers crossed I guess. One guy on a facebook 69 camaro group page said to put vaseline to break them in? has anyone ever heard of this??

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,990 Posts
Okay, just wanted to make sure as I've never heard any complaints on Metro as far as closing the doors, but have heard several (complaints) with SoffSeal.

Give it a week, leaving the doors shut and then let us know how it feels ….:yes:

I wouldn't resort to Vaseline yet, don't think it's needed. :noway:

·
3,564 Posts
James,
I had the same thought when I replaced my trunk seal but after it sat closed for a few weeks it closes easily. Like the others said, let it sit with the doors closed for a while and see what happens.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure if it’s the door seals needing broken in...

I got repop door handles from d&r off eBay...

The drivers side push button rod was too long so I trimmed it a little....now the drivers side I have to push as hard as I possibly could to get the latch to open and it “POPS” with a lot of tension. It takes almost all my strength to get the door to open.

The passenger side fit fine no trimming needed. That door has the “POP” and tension but doesn’t take as much effort for some reason... now idk what to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,990 Posts
Was the drivers side the same difficulty prior to replacing the handle ?

Did you cut the pushrod the same length as old one that was taken off ?

I don't understand why one side handle pushrod needed trimming and the other didn't as both sides should be the same length.

Don't worry about the "POP" when opening right now. It will subside later (couple weeks) when the w/s compresses (broken in).

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree with Al that your door strikers are the key to your door closing adjustment when you alter any door parts. First you do want to make sure that they ARE closing completely on your seals. But it is likely that if you look closely you might see that your door is now too tight.
To share an experience...This can be one of the problems that happen when you replace more than one part of an assembly without checking it’s operation after the first mod. I’ve learned this the hard way.

·
Registered
922 Posts
So which brand is preferred?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts