Team Camaro Tech banner

replaced rear spring,now alignment off 1/2"

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Z11/396 
#1 ·
can anyone tell me why? ...ok.i replaced both rear springs on my 69 z/28,a week later,i noticed a broken spring plate.so i replaced the plate,now i dont know if it is a big deal but the drivers rear wheel measures 1/2"more foward than the passenger side...and both quarters are the originals...all pins are centered in the plates,ect...help...thanx,david

------------------

1997 brickyard festival-
pace car no.1
1965 chevelle malibu
1964 chevelle s.s. 4-sp
1969 z28-x77 302

#3 ·
A couple things may have happened.

There is a rubber cup/bushing in the lower spring pad. The spring bolt fits into the cup, the bushing on the other side of the pad fits into the hole on the spring plate. One of these may not be in the hole.

The other idea is the front spring eye bushing may be too soft and may have crushed making the spring eye being off-center with the hangar. The hangar itself has a tab that fits into a hole in the floorboard.

One should measure diagonally, LF to RR, RF to LR. All points being in the same spot/place on the respective axle(s). Shouldn't have more than 3/8 inch difference.

You may have to retorque the spring/perch bolts again. Sometimes when first installed, the clamped take alittle time to settle, then have to retorque the hardware.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

#4 ·
I had/have the same problem as you. replaced the springs, measured center and it's off by 3/8.

The springs look centered and fully in the mounts.

I think it is the front spring eye brackets. With that slot and the J-nuts, there is a little bit of wiggle room. When you are westling them up there, just getting the bolts in is a bear, so I did not really check the bracket center. I plan on checking the alignment slot to see if there is a difference. Just my .02

I've been getting ready to fire up my 350/300 engine, so the rear alignment was pushed to the back burner.
Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.