Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody can offer info about where I can order a replacement ignition key from. I assume the manufacturer may have to be contacted.
I have only a single set of keys,...(ignition, accessory & hand-held remote, lock/unlock switch pad). When I purchased my car, the previous owner indicated that he lost the "second" set issued from the dealer.
I know the ignition key is specific to the car, in that it has that small electronic chip to activate the cars computer controls??

Thanks,
Doug

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bill;...I'll try it. You think that any GM dealership has the proper equipment to produce a duplicate? I thought this would be more of a technical situation, requiring the factory?
Again, nothing loss if I try a local dealer:thumbsup:.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
Bill;...I'll try it. You think that any GM dealership has the proper equipment to produce a duplicate? I thought this would be more of a technical situation, requiring the factory?
Again, nothing loss if I try a local dealer:thumbsup:.
any gm dealership can do it..:hurray:

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Yep. All you need is the last 8 characters of the VIN, and the dealer's parts department can cut the correct key.

I had to do it once when I locked my keys in my 01 Silverado at Carlisle; called the local dealer, gave them the last 8, and had my Mommy go pick it up and bring it to me at the fairgrounds.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:confused:...quite a price differential don't you think?? May come down to the particular dealership you're dealling with. Dealerships (some) have a reputation of ripping customers-off :mad: just on general principle. I'll check around; $75 seems high, but then again what do I know?:p

·
Registered
15 Posts
:confused:...quite a price differential don't you think?? May come down to the particular dealership you're dealling with. Dealerships (some) have a reputation of ripping customers-off :mad: just on general principle. I'll check around; $75 seems high, but then again what do I know?:p
for a fourth gen most dealerships are going to charge around $40 just to get the code they need for the chip that goes in the key, and then around 10$-$20 to make it, it ends up being quite expensive(for a key). But hey, some dealerships may not charge you to get the code for the chip, so it may be cheap, all I know is that all the dealerships in Dallas charge you out the *** for it...=/

·
Registered
507 Posts
We're talking about a 4th gen Camaro here right? ACE hardware can do it for $23 bucks. I had one cut last year. They have the decode box and the key blanks with the chip. Since you have 1 key already it isn't a big deal. If you didn't have a key at all, then that would be a different story involving the dealer, VIN, and proof of ownership......Jb

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
if you have a voltmeter, you can check the ohms of the chip, buy a key off of ebay that matches the resistance number, and have the key cut

you can do it for $20 and have everything look like an original key

·
Registered
91 Posts
Do the v6's also use the chip key? I seem to remember someone telling me that only the "G" motor or LS1's use the chip key. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Check the resistance on your current key with a multimeter and then search online or on Ebay for the key that meets that specific range. I bought one off Ebay for around $20 for my old 96 SS and took it to the local hardware store to be cut. The local hardware store should be able to match up your key, but they tend to sell them for around $40-45. Dealer would be the most expensive option.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:hurray:Good news!!!...just came back from my local GMC/Pontaic/Buick dealership. They made a new replacement key for me for $25!...not bad since I got varying opinions from everyone anywhere from $10 - $125.
The bad news;...I was quoted a price for a duplicate remote lock switch of $80 due to having to match the codes contained in the originial device.
For now I'll go with the replacement key only. (Haven forbid I lost my only ignition key!!!)

:cool:Doug

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
You can buy the remote fobs on ebay cheap, and reprogram yourself. I found the instructions online somewhere; if you get that far I or one of the other members can point you the right direction. It's yet another thing the dealer wants you to believe is difficult and therefore expensive, and it really isn't.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts