Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got done browsing some customer feedback on the Regulators that Advanced Auto sells (solid state replacements). Glad I did.... there is a customer on there that identifyed a problem with incompatability of their replacement VR for 1969 Chevy. It's under customer review tab:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Voltage-Regulator-BWD_5430488-P_204_R|GRP60003_567879950___#

He calls out that the pins are not connected properly inside the unit if he uses his stock harness therefore the thing is non-functional (actually destructive).

Anyway, can anyone recommend a brand that is a direct replacement for my original and works correctly with my original harness? It doesn't seem that you can get the orig. electro-mechanical unit with the fins on it, or else what I have isn't original! Mine looks like cast metal or aluminum shell with heat dissipation fins on the front. I was looking at this unit on Year One:

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?input=voltage+regulator&SM=1&SC=8

Recommedations appreciated!

Brian

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
wells VR 715 is what most of us have converted too. Works just fine. Available at most auto parts stores too, no need to buy away from town and have it shipped. NAPA carries them I know.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep I can get that at AutoZone. NAPA kind of dried up where I live...

·
Premium Member
5,742 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
I was looking to replace my original 515 VR with a Wells VR715 and Autozone is asking $18.99. Is that the going price for those now or can I do better?

·
15,370 Posts
The Wells is working just fine for me.
I've started seeing more and more of those BWD parts offered. Don't know anything about them, but I don't shop at Advance much either.

I wouldn't pay $65 for one. Especially if it's not solid state.... which is ONLY $19. You can put the original GM cover on the new Wells unit and make it look old.

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
FWIW...Just to answer my own question, I did a search on the net at various parts houses and with the shipping it's about the same as going to the local Autozone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts