Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1967 Camaro - LF7, powerglide, Z21, Z23
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plastic grid part of my grill is broken in a couple of places and has many layers of overspray. I bought a repro part that is just the bare plastic like this one.

Before I take the grill apart I want to be sure I can get it all back together. :unsure:

Some or most of the parts for the lights look to be riveted on, any tips for doing the replacement?
Vehicle Car Grille Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Didn't know about those. I'm wondering how you tighten them with the smooth rivet side. Probably instructions or a YouTube video out there.

This may be a dumb question, but do I use the black plastic grill as it comes or do they still need to be painted to look right?

·
Premium Member
14,488 Posts
I didn’t have a problem tightening them. I guess, if you had a problem, you could grind opposing sides of the head and use a wrench. My grill was a RS grill, that came black plastic and didn’t need painting.
Good luck on your project.

Roger

·
Registered
99 Posts
Any suggestions for repainting the black parts of the metal trim?
I just recently repainted the grill on my 68. The metal trim looks similar around the lights as the 67 as far as i can tell. I removed the trim and used fine steel wool to shine up the chrome and remove old overspray. I then sanded the chips in the factory black paint so there were no rough edges. That sort of allowed the fresh paint to blend in smooth (mostly). Then i cleaned it all up, used painter tape over the chrome parts with exacto knife for straight lines and used primer and then rustoleum satin black. It's by no means a show appearance but looks 100% better than it did before. My car is going to be a driver so I wasn't worried about anyone closely inspecting.

All in all it turned out fine for my skill level and budget.

good luck!

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks @ram74 excellent information, I'm going for the same type results. Just want it better than it looks now, and as close as I can get to original with my parts and skill.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts