Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in the Spring i bought a 69 and have a RamJet 350 with Tremec 5 speed transmission. Only 2000 miles and am just not happy with the power. I have a 2010 SS as well and am probably used to the rocket like power :D of it.

I personally didn't put the Ramjet 350 in, but I wonder how involved/expensive it would be to have a larger engine put in, and wonder if the tremec transmission would handle it.

Is there anything I can add to the 350 for a fair amount more power? I'm not racing it, but I don't want to be overpowered by a Ford mustang II :)

Would a 383 be much of a step up or would a 502 ramjet be an option.

Not sure if these questions are too vague, but just pondering options for next year...

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Never been much of a fan of the word RamJet as I suspect its just an intake set up, injection? Really does not strike fear into anyone with a super charged mustang as that's what most are that are teasing the Camaros.

You could use the same ramjet for a larger sbc crate motor, but going to 502 or even 572 is going to require a different induction setup . Carb will be fine.

How ever , sounds like you are searching, consider LS motors? They are becoming cheaper turn key with wiring and computer and they do perform well.

https://sdparts.com/details/chevrolet-performance/19257456

https://sdparts.com/details/chevrolet-performance/19301360

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love the fuel injection as there is no real warm up period and it's been reliable, but just not enough uhmph. I would love to put an LS3 in my 69. Beyond popping the old engine out and putting the $8K engine and $1.2k accelerator/install package is there anything I'm missing? Seems to simple/easy to be true? Why would someone go for a 502 ramjet over a LS3 engine? I guess this is the start of my research on this project.

Will a tremec 5 speed handle the extra HP?

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
I love the fuel injection as there is no real warm up period and it's been reliable, but just not enough uhmph. I would love to put an LS3 in my 69. Beyond popping the old engine out and putting the $8K engine and $1.2k accelerator/install package is there anything I'm missing? Seems to simple/easy to be true? Why would someone go for a 502 ramjet over a LS3 engine? I guess this is the start of my research on this project.

Will a tremec 5 speed handle the extra HP?
I friend of mine has a 66 nova with the LS3 carb and a tko, it handled it well , but a tko in a nova the floor had to be trimmed. They ended up added a Heidt ProG type IR rear end.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
What is your rear end gearing? With a TKO that has overdrive I would guess you should run 3.73:1 gears. You might want to check with GM, to see if a cam change is possible. I think with that fuel injection that it is best to leave it alone. Look at what gears you have.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Just reading up on the Ramjet 350, there seems to be no interchangeability or upgrades to this package, what you see is what you get. No cam or head changes.

Looks like a 502 or 572 in his future for a "little more power"

·
Registered
781 Posts
TTwo ...
First off the 502 Ramjet will not fit without major modifications to the underside of the hood. Any well built BBC will give you a TON of torque and HP, my 496BBC that I just sold made 625tq/600hp to the crank and with my TKO600/3:55 rears, my buddy in his 2012 Z06 carbon edition could not pull away on me. This is the cheapest way to get big power ... Throw in a hot cam and a MFPI setup from Holley or fast into a 502 and youve got a beast of a motor. To match that power with a LS3 your now into 'boosted' applications.

Just my 2 cents ...
Steve

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think under 500 would be fine, but just more responsive and quick engine than this. Can a Ramjet 350 be 'tuned'? maybe that would also be a good option to try and then change gearing or the rearend.

I have the manual tremec 5 speed, I belive the rear end is 3.73, but I want to verify that. It seems that my gearing feels like I'm shifting far too often just to get to 60mph.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Yes, there are folks that can tune the engine. If you are mechanically inclined and good with a computer, you can do it yourself with a kit. However, unless you have made some changes, i.e. camshaft, different heads or compression, you won't see huge gains just by tuning. Tuning would be great if you added a supercharger or a couple of turbos, but you are getting into more expense that way, and would probably be happier with a big block, if fuel economy isn't a concern.

These guys offer a kit, and you tune with a laptop. https://www.obd2allinone.com/ramjettuning.asp

From the site: The correct way to tune your Ramjet is to purchase our MEFIburn package and custom tune your engine in your car, collecting real data and tuning with a wide band O2 sensor to get your air/fuel ratios exactly where they should be under all operating conditions.

If you do not have the capability to do this or do not want to purchase the full MEFIburn package, we can give you a best guess calibration based on your inputs and our experience with other Ramjet setups. Obviously since we are not driving and collecting data from your vehicle we can not guarantee any calibration or modifications we make. That being said, almost any stock MEFI based Ramjet system will benefit from having the calibration modified to provide more optimal air/fuel ratios.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The last time I looked at the Ramjet 350, it appeared to me to be a really basic 350 with the only attraction being the EFI setup. Not sure if they changed them recently but nothing really impressive the last time I looked. If you want to stay SBC I would go with a 383, or you can do one of the 406/427/434 etc setups if you want to go really big with a SBC and have most of your existing stuff work. Going to either a BBC or an LS engine is going to require a bunch of small parts to make the conversion, and its the small stuff that adds up.

Personally if you like the Ramjet intake setup, I would consider a 383. You could likely build up a 383 and swap the EFI stuff over, thus not having to modify much about your car. The only limitation would be the HP capacity of that EFI setup, not sure what the ceiling is.

Its worth mentioning that thus far I have always wanted a period correct engine when I popped the hood. But I am now willing to admit that if I built a Camaro starting over today, I would either go LS3, or if I could swing it, LS7.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The ramjet 350 has pretty good torque across the entire range, but just not as responsive and I'd like to see in this car. Again I think I'm spoiled with my LS3 in my 2010SS. Unless it is rediculous, money for little parts shouldn't be a problem. I'd rather do it right and can even sell the ramjet 350 to someone else. I just would like to be able to use this transmission if possible.

·
Registered
152 Posts
What are you Trying to do with your 69? 350 hp in a 69 will walk away from your 2010..... I own both. The 2010 is 1000 lbs heavier. For <2k in parts, your current motor should be faster. Heads, cam and injectors.

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Seriously, if you weren't so far away, I would consider making an offer. That engine would be perfect to put in my 49 Studebaker dump truck. Right now, it has a 100 hp straight six flat head.

·
Registered
711 Posts
for anything less than 1000 hp, a bbc is not needed. Especially with technology of the day. As far as the ramjet, for one, that cam is tiny with a 1.6 rocker. Those heads are not the greatest, and will not accommodate a larger lift cam. The problem with all GM pre-built turn key engines are they are pretty much done as far as performance. They don't pop for better heads, etc... because they are selling you a reliable engine that will run at a set performance factor. Don't get a 502, especially out of the gm catalog, as you could get an engine builder to build you something with the same HP that will make twice the gas mileage. If you are going to get a new engine, i say it all the time, new technology, better performance and mileage and reliability. Go get a 6.0 out of an escalade, have it built, get a stand alone harness and get 22 mpg.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What are you Trying to do with your 69? 350 hp in a 69 will walk away from your 2010..... I own both. The 2010 is 1000 lbs heavier. For <2k in parts, your current motor should be faster. Heads, cam and injectors.
my 2010 is a rocket ship compared to the 69 with that ramjet 350. it seems to have pretty good torque so maybe it is the gearing that is the issue? :confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts