Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of quick, and I'm sure simple questions.

I took the intake off to replace leaking gaskets (coolant), when I put it back on, I silicone around the water jackets, but do I put silicone on the bolts?

Man, I think I pulled 12 different length bolts out of this thing-with 6 different washer combinations....nice.

Thanks guy's!!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Sealer is not necessary on the intake bolts. Do get a set that are the correct length though (1 1/4"), as a few of them will hit the pushrods if they're too long.

·
Super Moderator
32,614 Posts
The outside intake bolts, one in each corner, go into blind holes. The inside bolts, 8 each, are through-holes.

I would coat them with Indian Head Shellac, or Permatex A200, maybe RTV after cleaned with lacquer thinner or Brakleen, and 1 inch in length would be good.

·
19,907 Posts
Everett is correct. I just did this last week. I also painted my new to me just meadia blasted Vic Jr. with VHT aluminum 1200* paint, hope it holds up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the intake back on last night with no drama. No apparent leaks, however the idle has dropped. It used to idle at 1000 in park, 850 in gear-now it's more like 850 and 650.

Vacuum leak?

·
19,907 Posts
Timing may need adjusted or you had a slight vacuum leak before too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I was wondering about that. It was leaking coolant from the front water jacket, the whole driver's side intake gasket was toasted. I assume it had a vacuum leak there as well. We'll get it timed, and bump the idle up if it needs it.

Out of curiosity, does anyone want to guess at where to time the car?

What I know about the engine-
Long duration cam
Double Hump 461X Heads
Offy Intake
750 Holley

I have no idea what compression is.

Thanks for all of the help-

·
Super Moderator
32,614 Posts
BW67 said:
Out of curiosity, does anyone want to guess at where to time the car?

What I know about the engine-
Long duration cam
Double Hump 461X Heads
Offy Intake
750 Holley

I have no idea what compression is.

Thanks for all of the help-
Anywhere from 8* to 14* BTDC. Vacuum gauge will show you alot of what you're not seeing.

Also, starting the engine hot will be a big determining factor as to how much initial advance to dial in. If the engine kicks back against the starter, then less initial timing needed. Once again, use the vacuum gauge to help tune.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Everett, I should time for max vac. at idle? I'm just getting back into this stuff after years off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts