Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 68 8.2 rear. I converted the drums to disc and need longer studs for the stock axles. I tried these Moroso replacement studs which are .480" knurl diameter and they are too big. It looks like the old studs are about .460" roughly?

Are there even longer press-in studs available for this diameter? I assumed there were, but don't see many options on Summit or Jegs.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
napa

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I should have searched here first....found it:

Dorman Spec
#610-157
Knurl 0.475" [From their 1997 spec. sheet* ... )
Length 2-1/8" (5/8" longer than stock)
Shoulder 3/16" (a little less grip overall)

·
Registered
473 Posts
I just finished the exact same thing. I got some at Napa

·
Registered
522 Posts
Here's what I used per another TC member:
NAPA part# BK6411267
Wheel Bolt Head Marks : 259
Wheel Bolt Knurl Dia. : .475"
Wheel Bolt Overall Length : 1 3/4"
Wheel Bolt Shoulder Length : 27/64"
Wheel Bolt Thread Size : 7/16"-20
Wheel Bolt Threads : Right Hand

·
Registered
224 Posts
Did the studs fit in the 8.5 rear,if so did you have to drill the axle out. or did the studs fit. Because the spec on the orig studs are .465 on the knurl. Thanks Wes

·
Registered
522 Posts
Honestly Wes I'm not sure if they had to be drilled out or not.
I had my machine shop press them in.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I just used the BK6411267 studs in my rear end. Tried to pull them on with a stack of washers and lug nuts. Stripped the hell out of the stud. I would not recommend, I would assume you'd have to drill out the axle.
I have an 8.2" open rear as well.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Dorman 610-186 Wheel Studs available at Oreilly and most other auto part stores
Set of 10 available from Summit Racing for $13.95, sold for $1.29 each at Oreilly for me. Pressed in just fine using wheel lug nut.

Wheel Stud Style Press-in
Thread Size 7/16-20 RH in.
Knurl Diameter 0.472 in.
Length : 1.5"

·
Premium Member
11,156 Posts
I used the Moroso 46160 If my memory serves me correctly. They were about 2.875" long but with the .460 knurled end. I just cut them to length to fit my thicker than normal wheel spoke and allow some thread outside the nut. I then pressed them in with a local shop press for a few bucks. Felt better doing this than pulling them thru with a nut and washer.

·
Super Moderator
32,346 Posts
I've never had a problem pulling in studs using a couple Gr 8 washers and reverse lug nut, use the flat side, and liberal amounts of WD40 on the washers.

The lug nut threads should give up before the wheel stud threads. Poor quality of studs, not heat-treated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts