Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting one of the repo R59 AC DELCO batteries for my 67 , just thought some of you may allready have one and could tell me how good they are and how long are they good for ?? thank's

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
There was a discussion on this at Yenko.net a couple months ago. Mixed opinion. Some thought their repop held up well, others said it wouldn't hold a charge, after a year or so.

I bought an R89 side post, but have not charged it yet. If I had it to do over, I'd go for a flush top, top post unit, and purchase a battery topper. Battery topper fits over a modern battery, giving the illusion of being an R59. Looks good at a glance, but would not hold up under judging.

Anyone interested in a new R89 (late production 69- on) and big block cables, email me.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I don't like mine. It's a pain to keep it charged so I bought a Topper. Now I'm stuck with the battery I won't use.

------------------
'69 RS SS 396 375hp L78 Convertible, M22, 3.31 posi, deluxe interior, gauges, rosewood wheel, AM-FM, fold down seat, tilt wheel, Torque Thrust Wheels, console mounted 8 track player, chambered exhaust, locking gas cap
COMING SOON Corvette tripower, small body HEI, and maybe "842" aluminum heads

·
Registered
352 Posts
My Tar Top repro lasted about a year, Cranking my 396-350hp. My opinion, from a power point of view, they are junk. When mine died I would take it to the car shows and put it in for display only during the show.....lol You can't beat the look.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I've had one since '98 and it's still going. Car is rarely driven.
A buddy of mine got one and the case cracked. They replaced it on a pro-rated basis.

·
Registered
251 Posts
My neighbor bought a repo for his 67. It lasted less that a summer. Now he'll drive to a show and then swap batteries. It won't even fire up the dome light even when its right off the charger

------------------
69 convertible
LT1 4L60E

·
Registered
358 Posts
I bought a R-59 battery and mine sits on the bench, It never held a charge very well, and it was prety emberassing getting a jump every place you go. 30 years of technology in the battery and tire department is well worth not being original, you can always keep it in your trunk and swap at a show.

·
Administrator
2,652 Posts
I had 3 or 4 of them so far. The first one lasted 3 years, the others only made a year.

I now have a battery topper on a high amp AC Delco battery and it's great. I can move the battery to another vehicle if I need to, plus nobody has commented on it being a battery topper... yet.

Ground Up has them for 39.95
R 59 toppers

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I have two of them I got the first one with the car and the second one a year later. I got the "High Crank" model. The Crank part must mean what you would have to use to get your car started. Because the battery wont.
They are really good if you want to anchor your duck boat! One at the front and one at the back.
I took the second one back after a couple of months, because it would not hold a charge.
The dealer recharged it and home I went to the same problem. After one week not even enough charge for a dome light. Back it
went. This time he gave me a Mickey Mouse cut out switch to put on my unrestored 30,000 mile car. He said there was something killing the battery. I even undid the spring ring cable.
They are junk. The GM Delco high crank has lasted four years, no problems. Just take it inside during the winter. For shows I guess you could swap batteries for looks.

------------------
Only 69 Z/28s
Garnet Red 30,000 mi
Glacier Blue
Rally Green new in 69

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
The repo batteries are junk - they're old-tech inside, and the plates sulfate VERY easily, and there's no recovery from that. One deep-cycle discharge, and they're history. The only way to keep them going is to keep a "Battery Tender" on them any time the car isn't being driven so they never discharge below about 75% capacity. Use a new Delco replacement with top terminals unless you like being stranded with a dead battery, and put a topper on the new Delco if appearance matters.

They sell a lot of these repro batteries to guys in the NCRS side of my hobby, and they're all junk - most NCRS Corvette guys keep them out of the car on a "Tender" and only install them on judging day. We had three cars with them at our Chapter Judging Meet two years ago, and two of the three died before judging was over.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 12 of 12 Posts