Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have a question, and maybe an answer, to an old questioned asked here in 2008. The Thread was titled '1975 Chevy 350 intake manifold 2bbl carb mounted with 2 bolts'.
No one seemed to know why it was made that way- tho some thot it was GM trying to save money.
I have that same intake. My carb gasket was leaking, it is at least 15 years old, so I decided to check things out. Once I had removed the carb I realized I had done this years before. I decided to drill and tap the 2 missing holes (instead of simply buying a new gasket- which I sure wish I had done now). Once I drilled/tapped and reconnected the carb the engine runs like it is missing.

My question is, could drilling/tapping those two holes have caused this? One of the holes, the P/S rear, is about 1/4 inch thick and, once drilled, enters the intake chamber. The other one, D/S front, doesn't. Thanks for any advice you can give or any fixes to this frustrating problem.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Put sealant on those new bolts or studs that you used, so it can't suck air thru the threads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TJS69, I think you're right. Do you think the issue was caused by me drilling into the intake? I did put some RTV on the D/S hole but I don't think I drilled thru anything that would cause a leak with that one. The problem must be the P/S rear hole that went into the intake. Will try that now. THANKS! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts