Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it easier and better to get a reproduction panel or to go to a junk yard or parts shop and take a used panel i dont care about the price differnce jsut which one would be better to have on the car
tim
69coupe

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Generally speaking, I prefer original parts to aftermarket if they are both available. When cost is a consideration, many people want TOP dollar for any original sheet metal part and repro parts are relatively inexpensive but usually need some massaging to fit correctly.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im looking for a passenger side inner wheel well for 69 coupe ive seen repros for around 150-170 but all the junkyards i have called havnt gotten bakc to me or dont have them
tim

·
Registered
407 Posts
Tim, this might be one instance where going with the repro is the best option. Any original inner or outer wheel well that is now 30+ years old has got to be getting tired and probably rusty and pitted. It will also have to be cut off the car probably resulting in more damage. The repro will be brand new sheet metal, it's usually coated with rust inhibitor, and unlike a quarter panel or fender or door, fit and finish are not super critical as you don't see this part unless you go to the trouble of pulling a tire and sticking your head up in the wheel well. Also, imperfections are covered easily by the undercoating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts