Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of you may remember my problem with my ever leaking repro proportioning valve.
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=97522
Well, today I found out why.

This is in fact the replacement repro valve I bought, thinking all along it was something that I was doing wrong.
..and because I had a feeling that this may have been happening, I was very light-handed in torquing the fitting to the block in case it might crack. ..but it leaked anyway.

I fitted my air line to the valves, and stuck a rivet stem in the other end to see if they would leak at all.

Well, both of my repro valves leaked, and both from exactly the same place. Coincidence??
See the bubbles at the base of the thread at about the 8 o'clock position?

Anyone else having the same problem of a leaky valve? Well, now you know why.
(Please do not suggest I get some teflon tape to Band-Aid it. This is part of a braking system!)

I've had it with this crap repro junk.:mad:

·
Registered
427 Posts
The part you have the rivet in is pressed into the machined block and is called the seat. I'm not sure how they are made to be installed, but I've seen OEM brake parts leak from the same location. Over torqing (I know you didn't do that with this part) makes the problem worse.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
It's possible a whole batch got machined too deep and will have a tendency to leak.
I would contact your source and return it and see if they can correct the problem with the manufacturer. Did you get it from Ricks? They have a reputation for being good. Try getting one from a parts seller that also restores cars, they will understand your frustration.
As a last resort or temporary measure, you may be able to sweat solder the fitting in there to stop it from leaking around the threads. You may have to disassemble the valve to prevent damage to the rubber parts.
Man, what a hassle, I see an original on ebay, maybe you should bid on it.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Guys
I contacted the eBay seller and they are sending out a replacement for me right now, free of charge, and are even covering the shipping that I offered to pay.:D (I'm in Australia in case you didn't know.)
So, let's hope the 3rd one is a charm.

I see the OE ones on eBay too. I may bid on them if the prices remain reasonable.:thumbsup:

Hmmm, solder huh.. I wonder if I can. Or maybe braze it as a last measure. We'll see how we go with the replacement/s first.:)

(Because of their great service, I'll give them a plug.. They're called "thepartsplaceinc".)
http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/thepartsplaceinc/

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
*Update*
I promptly recieved my replacement valve (great service) and pressure tested before fitting and it did not leak.
I fitted the valve with no leaks.
I bled the brakes and still no leaks.:thumbsup:

Still disappointed it took me 3 repros to get a good one!
Anyway, I'm a bit happier now. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts