Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just got an order in from R***s for my second 69. I had bought a bunch of GM parts in 1983 for the SS, so I was able to compare the repro to genuine vintage parts. I was pleasantly surprised!

1. Front Spoiler - excellent! Actually I like the repro better (might sell the GM one), just a little thinner on top edge, but not enough to make a diff.

2. Sill plates - excellent, identical except for label plate. The repro uses a smaller stick on label that fits poorly. repaint and reuse your old label!

3. chrome marker bezels - better than GM! Only issue is one of them had a blemish (3 were perfect), but the ones labeled fronts were actually rears. sending them back.

4. Standard Emblem set - Better then GM! the exception was the header/deck ones. in the painted " by chevrolet" section the paint was not smooth and the casting was a little different from GM, by very useable.

5. QTR panel louvers - both GM and the High-end Trim Parts louvers were identical, both were excellent.

6. qtr window chrome - very good, same weight good finish, just more squarish on top then originals. Later reports will be on fit.

7. Deluxe door panels from Al Knoch - They looked very correct and the done well. No hardware and no holes predrilled. One had shipping indents (should come out in sun), but the pass had a wrinkle in armrest. They are going to be returned. more later.

I have a few more comparisons to do plus how they fit on the car.

More later! Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 ragtop 327/PG, Driver

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Hey, THANKS, Kevin! That is very usefull information.

------------------
Steve McCorry - Central Ohio Camaro Club
'69 Camaro RS/SS-350 - Daytona Yellow
'95 Camaro Z-28 - Sebring Silver
click here to see my webpage ---> www.mindspring.com/~mccorry (updated 5/18/01)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Thanks for the report.We all should do this. I just got my seats back from being redone with new covers from PUI Looks great, but one promblem the new repo seat foam make the seat too high & you need to bend your neck to see out of the windshield.

------------------
1967 RS/SS 396 Camaro

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
That's some good scoop, Kevin. Thanks for your report.
Do you have an email or snail mail address for Al Knoch? I knew him years ago and would like to say Hi.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Excellent input.

Al, is it possible to have a new section defined for this type of effort so everyone can go to the new area and reference?

·
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Toby, The Main vendor sells many different vendors stuff. The door panels were shipped from Al Knoch directly (no numbers), the others were all packed on large boxes for shipping.

fan belts were from Quanta.
1/4 window chrome and Convert header tops were from Classic.
sill plates were from Harmons.
Good Emblems were from Trim Parts, some were no name from Taiwan.
Others were from misc vendors.

Since I put in a large order, the volume discount for over $1000 was 10% off and free shipping. On sale items and Kits are excempt from the volume discount, so check carefully. The door panels were oversize, so I had to pay shipping (now both ways!). If you had to get each piece from the different vendors it would certainly cost more!

Also GM just did a price increase, so the GM parts were a little more then listed in the catalog.

Al, I vote for a Repro quality/fit section too!

I will be putting more info in as I install them. (long term road test)

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Kevin, do you have an old pair of the deluxe door panels to compare with the new one's. I too have a pair from Al Knoch and trial fitting them the lock rods dig into the top of the door panel, couldn't get a knob on. My originals fit fine, it appears the lock rod hole is to far down on the panel. Hopefully just a mistake on this one pair. Wes

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
76Maro, the vendor is at www.firstgen.com

MY396, yes I do. I have not put them side by side yet, but I will. The door panels did not have the lock hole cut in them. That way they only have to have one set in stock for 68s and 69s. Owners would cut the hole! Since I have to return them, I cannot rate the fit yet. That will be a later report. Kevin

------------------

·
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MY396, found the Al Knoch website. http://home.flash.net/~alknoch/

1-800-880-8080. I have a call into them now for pricing and to talk about their panels I got from Rick's that had a wrinkle.

Kevin

------------------

·
Registered
101 Posts
hi kevin
When checking the emblems and louvers did you check the mounting posts. I sent back four sets of gm fender emblems for bad chrome before giving up and buying trim parts repro emblems. I thought they were perfect until i tried to install them in my gm original fenders and the they were not even close. I sent them back also to r###S where they confirmed my findings and set me up with a perfect pair of o.e.r. repros emblems. The repro louver post were also off but close enough to file and fit.
Joe G I bought repro rocker moldings and the ends look like they were rolled with a hammer. If you have any luck with rockers please let me know.
p.s. kevin great post we need more of this type of information. Please let me know if your doing any shows any time soon.

Dave Grover [email protected]
69 z 28 hugger

·
11,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dave, All 3 rear marker bezels fit the same (orig, GM, repro), but the GM and repro were tight in the plastic light assembly, but did fit.
The engine emblems did fit on my bondo fenders
My louver holes are so messed up, I have to weld and re drill the anyway (template time!)
The grill emblem feels a little looser, but I'm going to put the orig one back on to be sure. I takes a little jigging to make sure the emblem is on straight.

Emailed you about going to the Jackson Outlets Cruise this Friday, if it doesn't rain!

Kevin

------------------

1 - 13 of 13 Posts