Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased one of the reproduction aluminized exhaust systems shown in the catalogs? I am considering buying one from Rick's, and I would like to know how the quality is and what the exhaust sound is like from the replacement muffler. Also, is it possible to buy the system without the muffler and use a flowmaster in it's place? If so, is this a bolt-up job or would welding and modification be required? I have a 68 convertible, so the cross-brace is an issue, but the guys at Rick's claim that their system will fit convertibles as well as coupes.

------------------
Dave68RS/SS Convertible
L48 (350/295 Powerglide)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am thinking of using Summits stainless steel system. The kit includes stainless headers ,pipes, and borla stainless steel mufflers. All this for $440. The part # is SUM-G4800.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Greg, I don't think that kit includes headers. Also, the "on line" catalog shows "not available" for 67-69 camaros. Maybe they are just out ? - Tom

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock , hooker, ultradyne cam, stewart,
TRW etc.
Vintage Air (not yet installed)
700R4 TPI transmission

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i have- and love- the crossflow Flowmaster American thunder kit under my Nova. fit real nice with no ground clearance issues- the lowest part of the pipes is about 1 inch lower than the floorboard. a good exhaust shop should be able to make it fit a convert with minimum hassle, and make the muffler hang on stock mounting brackets if you want.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Just for everyones info, don't get the stainless borla headers from summit because they will NOT work with power steering AT ALL. However, the stainless exhaust system is quite nice and sounds great. This is the system that I am running now with Hooker Super Comps.

Mike

------------------
94 Z28 Convertible
68 Camaro SS Clone

·
Registered
417 Posts
Novaderrick,
How is the interior resonance with the transverse mounted muffler? I was thinking of putting that system on my 69 Camaro. I want to hear the tunes from my CD palyer and not the "notes" from my exhaust system.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Boy, this brings back memories!!

My car came with the dual resonators ahead of the axle and the transverse muffler..

It was soo quiet you couldn't even hear it running inside!! pdq67

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I found a company that makes repo SS exhaust systems for our cars. They even kept the transverse muffler location like stock.

C&C Automotive, 2742 Stafford Court, New Castle, OH, (513) 845-1188.

Now the mag. I found is a Car Craft dated Nov., 1985 so the whole thing may be totally obsolete!! Good luck. pdq67

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Car Craft did a series of buildup articles on a 67 RS convertible a few years ago where they put a modern LT1 and 4L60 into the car and had Borla fab up an exhaust system to clear the x-brace. They listed it as a new system by Borla and gave the part # for it. If I dig through my magazines I might be able to find it again, but I would try calling Borla and see what they say. I think I'm going to end up going with a custom 2-1/2" chambered system so my engine will be able to breathe properly. Everything on my car is $$$ so why stop now!

------------------
Jeff H - Hugger Orange 69 Z28, original factory JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored - 87 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Turbo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts