Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some opinions on what this engine might sell for.The engine is carb to pan less headers.It is installed in my 68 Camaro and can be started and driven.It has 2000 miles on a rebuild.No noises and good power and oil pressure.I need to sell this engine to finance my blown stroker project upcoming.Thanks.
.030 over 427 BBC
Casting #3963512
4 bolt main.Forged crank. .030 under mains and rods
Clevite 77,s
HV oil pump
resized 454 rods with 3/8 ARP bolts
Speed Pro L2268F30 forged pistons.35.5 cc dome.Top Moly ring.
Pete Jackson gear drive.(noisy).
Comp flat tappet mechanical with Crane full roller Energizer rockers.
.595 gross lift.248 @.050.110 lsa.
3919840 closed chamber rectangular port iron heads
2.250 intakes/1.88 exhaust valves
Dual springs with dampners and PC seals
New locks and retainers and competition grind
Polished Edelbrock Performer RPM dual plane
Hardcore 870 DP with quick change Dominator bowls,secondary jet extensions,screw in air bleeds,down leg boosters,4 corner mixture screws with a milled off choke horn atop a 1/2 phenolic spacer.
Moroso Aluminun short style water pump
MSD billet aluminun dizzy.Non vac type.
Proform polished cast aluminum valve covers
K&N 4 inch with drop base and x-treme air flow top plate
I will retain the ring gear,starter,alt and headers.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard to put a value on an engine, but if you're anywhere in the Michigan area, I am interested- Tony
Tony...Thanks for responding.The 427 BBC is in south Oakland County MI.I am trying to get a feel for its worth,maybe to a Vette owner that wants these casting #,s. Denny at Booth Aarons in Berkley did the machine work.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Seriously, how weird that you're so close! I'm near the Milford Proving Grounds. Without seeing it, I would say the 4-bolt 512 block and 840 heads should make it worth >$3000. I have a '69 427/425 Biscayne that needs the same engine, which is why I expressed interest in it. Thanks, Tony

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whats the date codes on the block and heads? Was the block decked,if not what is stamped on the engine pad?
The block has never been decked to the best of my knowledge.There is no stamping # on the pad.....I believe it be a service block perhaps??
The block date code is G 29 70.The heads are L 18 8.
The speed pro factory replacement pistons measured .015" down in the hole at TDC..if this helps.

·
Registered
996 Posts
You'd have to examine the pad for broach marks to see if the deck machining looks original. I could check it out if you're not familiar with what to look for. Thanks, Tony

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You'd have to examine the pad for broach marks to see if the deck machining looks original. I could check it out if you're not familiar with what to look for. Thanks, Tony
I did not mention the machining marks because I was unsure if 70,s era machine shops used the same equipment as the General.I found an article that addresses this...and it mimics the older machining.If I remember correctly..(been a while)..doesn't the new machining have a lighter rotational finish compared to my deeper spaced apart grooves.Not sure though.Any thoughts? I do have an offer of $5000 US right now.The fellow has 3 first gens and wants it for his 68.Based on the no pad stamp and original broach marks..am I right in thinking this is a warranty service replacement block?Thanks Tony for your interest and offer to view.:beers:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
It should have a CEXXXxx number for a replacement block. It sounds like a milled 70's block with a set of '68 heads. Not a bad engine but nothing extra special. 512 blocks are always a hot item.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It should have a CEXXXxx number for a replacement block. It sounds like a milled 70's block with a set of '68 heads. Not a bad engine but nothing extra special. 512 blocks are always a hot item.
Thanks Bob.What makes the 512 block special?I liked the fact that it is factory notched for a bigger arm.Can you fit a 4.250 stroke crank in this block without further notching?I want to build a flat top low compression 4.310 with a 4.250 stroke and add an 8-71.The 433 right now is fresh and revs like a smallie.Sell it or reconfigure and rebuild?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts