Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a new engine harness. But the resistance wire going to my Mallory coil is too short can I just add same guage standard wire? Also Im running a mini starter do I even need this yellow wire?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
If you use standard wire to extend the harness, you still will get the same amount of voltage from the wire which is 8 volts. Do you still have points or are you using a HEI distributor? If you still have points then you can extend the harness with a regular wire. As far as the Mini starter goes, I have read past threads about mini starters where the yellow wire is no longer needed. Do a search on Mini starters and read up on the correct way to install a mini starter.

·
Registered
453 Posts
spideynut said:
Also Im running a mini starter do I even need this yellow wire?
Check to see if the resistance wire has power in both the crank and run position. If it doesn't you would have to correct that or the ignition system won't work in the crank position. Next check your ignition system, points and only some aftermarket coils require a resistance feed. HEI's and most aftermarket ignition systems require full voltage. If yours requires a resistance feed, you may have hard starting or no start since battery voltage is pulled down from the draw on the starter and the resistance wire drops it even farther. Thats what the yellow wire was originally for, to send full voltage to the ignition system during cranking. Since you have a mini starter, and most don't have the "R" terminal for the yellow wire, you would need to use a relay, or a diode off the "S" terminal. You really only need the yellow wire if the resistance wire is not hot during cranking, and your ignition system requires a resistance feed.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys big help. I have more info on my ignition system. I have a Mallory Unilite with a mallory coil which uses a ballast resistor. I wired the starter hot lead and the purple coming from the ignition. She turned over for the first time in 2 1/2 years. I DONT have the coil totaly wired yet. Im still confuse on the resistance wire and yellow wire (which are connected) coming from the harness. I went to Mallory and im unclear with the resistance wire , yellow and ballast set up.
The mini starter crank the ol' 400 no prob. cool sound too. Kinda loud I guess. I couldnt believe it, whenI bought this car it was wired direct with a switch panel! I have to say its bitter sweet till I can figure out the coil thing. Hoping some one with similar units (or anyone) might have a tip as so I dont toast my good (so far) wire job.

·
Registered
601 Posts
If you are using a resistance wire you don't need the ballast resistor. Use one or the other, not both.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts