Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From St Petersburg Florida. This is probably my first post here in 15 years. I bought this car over 25 years ago intending for it to be a future restoration project. I didn't think it would end up being this much of a distant project! Better late than never. I have restored a few vehicles, but this will be my first project of this magnitude though. The car has sat in the same spot in the garage since the day I brought it home. The car is rusty but original.

·
Premium Member
5,308 Posts
Funny how that happens. I parked mine because it needed exhaust and having a son three months old I had better places to put the money. Life happened and my youngest grand child is ten. She is the daughter of my son that was seven when the car got parked. It's back on the "stove now and hoping to get a fire burning under it soon. It will look very similar to yours when finished. No stripes or 302 on mine.

Good luck ! I'll be following along.

Jeff

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey the interior matches the dust!! 😉

Looks like she waited patiently for you so give her some good lovin!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Look forward to this one - I have a daughter that just lives up the road in Clearwater - great location, luckily you have kept it away from some of the bad weather that tends to flow through your area!

·
Premium Member
2,811 Posts
Very cool!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
609 Posts
I did mine back to the original color, wasn't sure if I would like daytona yellow, ended up doing it almost 20 years ago and absolutely love it! Best of luck on the journey!
(Ck out pic of mine in profile!) :wink2:

·
Premium Member
3,654 Posts
I dig the yellow. Anyone notice the yellow bumper too? Might be a highly option car. My car is orange, but live the yellow too.

·
Premium Member
5,308 Posts
I did notice the yellow bumper. I have seen yellow houndstooth, some original and some reproduction. all in the same car. I'm not a fan of houndstooth in general and yellow is the worst of the bunch IMO.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement !

For years the plan was to change the color to blue, but now have made up my mind to keep it yellow.

It is black houndstooth. Pulled interior today. To my amazement the floorboards are solid. Can't say the same for the trunk floor, quarters and roof though.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,593 Posts
Very desirable color combo and options. I presume you've checked the engine/drivetrain codes ? Just wondering how much of it is original ….? Is it an X-code car ?

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To be honest I never really checked. My friend I bought it from got the car when it was 6 years old with 60K miles. Engine has never been apart or out since 1976. Still has the solid lifter cam. I have an extra DZ engine block just in case. I'm kind of tempted to use it anyway and preserve the original (I presume) engine block. I will check today.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,593 Posts
Original block adds quite a bit of value to a Z, obviously, so if you plan on driving it and having some fun, it'd be wise to stash the original.:yes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts