Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally got my '68Z back from the body shop! I now have the car at home and would like to get some advice on how to put this thing back together. The engine, transmission, differential and front end have all been rebuilt and are complete. Where do I start next? Wiring, inside- outside? engine compartment work? existing body prep, i.e. what to do about the floorboards, interior door metal, under dash, etc.? There is only light surface rust and I am thinking about light sanding and going back with primer and paint vs. por-15? Thanks for you ideas.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Can't really tell from your post how much of your car is apart. Are the subframe and rear end installed? Front sheetmetal? I try to restore/reassemble in roughly the same order that the factory built it.
I'll probably get an argument, but I think a good coat of paint will hold up fine on the interior floorboards.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Kyvox,

I have to disagree with you on the floor boards. While the car is apart, there is no reason not to get rid of the rust and seal it with por-15 or Eastwood's corriless. It will save you, and any future owner of the car the headache of rusted out floorpans. If it is just light rust, I would remove the rust with a wire wheel attached to a drill motor, then paint her up with a quality sealant. It's the right way to do it, and it sounds like a car you don't want to cut corners on.

Dan

------------------
67 Pro-touring Camaro-327, 9:1, Comp XE268 Cam, Perf. RPM Intake. 750 Holley, Sportsman II Heads, Ceramic coated headers, 700R4 trans, 17" Amer. Racing TT2's, 12" disc brakes, custom stereo, black with white stripes, cowl ind. hood.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.