Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine asked me if there was an actual difference between a big block retro roller and roller (roller block) camshaft. We know that the lifters are different, but he wants to know if the actual camshaft, itself, is different for a retro-roller application. I hope I made this question clearer than mud.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Yes there is a difference. Rollers are built to use a retainer plate that bolts to the front of the block behind the cam gear to keep the cam inplace. The front face of the cam has a groove machined in it for the retainer plate to ride in. Retro cams dont have this feature, and need a cam button to hold them in place. Other than that, and the fact that some roller cams don't come with a mechanical fuel pump lobe there isn't any other difference. Thats not to say you can't use a roller cam in a non roller block, you just need to mix and match some parts. I've got a hot LT4 hydraulic roller installed in my non roller block with a cam button and haven't had an issue with it yet.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.
This was a big help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.