Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know when the Model two will be released?
I am ready to purchase the Model one but the new one will have Ipod charging and controls. Retrosound says "spring 2012" but I am hoping for a firm date.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Does anyone know when the Model two will be released?
I am ready to purchase the Model one but the new one will have Ipod charging and controls. Retrosound says "spring 2012" but I am hoping for a firm date.
Thanks
I just looked into this myself, and now they are looking at June of 2012.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
I heard it's 8-track compatible... :D I have the model one and it's a been a good radio.
Lol. The Model 2 adds iPod display on the screen.

I'd like to know how much/if any control you have over choosing playlists and/or song selection. I'd also like to see how many pre-outs it has on the back since my interior is gutted and will be running power/RCA/speaker wires in the very near future.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
Model 2 is scheduled to be released June 2012. in terms of ipod control it is left up to the ipod itself and depends on the software capabilities of the unit.

I havent personally found a head unit that gives proper control over the ipod. The alpine was good but it is still buggy as well. Frankly i have better things to do then fiddle with small buttons , hit play and listen to the music is all i need it to do in the car.:)

The power is the same 50wx4 but really puts out about 22wx4 rms ( Will still need a proper amplifier to improve sound). 3 sets of rca outputs, flash drive reader.Certainly nothing special but it does install in the 67 dash without modification if that is all one is after?

·
Registered
159 Posts
FWIW, I have the custom auto sound radio with the iPod capabilities and it was not that good at all. Limited ability of iPod info to the head unit. I could not do much but start and skip songs. It didn't list the playlist name on the head unit, all it says is playlist 1 or playlist 2, etc. I ended up getting rid of the "iPod to head unit" cable and just used the other AUX IN cable they also provided and just change my songs from the iPod itself. If the retrosound is anything like the custom autosound setup I would just get the model one and save some bucks I'm sure

Btw, I hate the sound quality from my custon autosound head set. No depth what so ever. I ended up putting to small amps in and it made a world of difference. I am not a super bass head, but I do like a crisp quality sound.

Also FWIW, I actually may end up purchasing the retrosound model one because I like the way it works and I really like the customer service I received with all the questions I had for him. Very nice people I have dealt with. I would still use the external amps I have now though. The watts they claim are no where near what an equal rated system by someone like alpine or pioneer is. At least that's the case with the autosound units.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Actually, upon further review, I am not even doing the model one. I forgot that all I need is the classic retrosound because I am using external amps and it also does have the aux input spot for my iPod. If I need to charge my iPod I just use an external cigarette charger. I was even thinking about wiring a hidden accessory port in my car so it can be charged and not seen.

Btw, I have a 67 with a console and I ran my head phone jack auxiliary cable into the storage area. so I use the iPod but it's still hidden away.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
The power is the same 50wx4 but really puts out about 22wx4 rms ( Will still need a proper amplifier to improve sound). 3 sets of rca outputs, flash drive reader.Certainly nothing special but it does install in the 67 dash without modification if that is all one is after?
Do you know if the pre-outs are Front/Rear/Sub? I have 3 amps that I will be installing, and it would be great if I could control them separately from the head unit.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
They claim it has sub output and two sets of RCA outputs!

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
I am thinking of going with the Kicker PXi50.2 hidden away under the seat or dash and keep the look of the original radio. Has anyone tried it yet?
http://www.kicker.com/pxi502

[URL="
"URL]

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Now I really like that. Brilliant idea. Any idea how much?

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
Retrosound Model 2 release date pushed back to late July/early August...

I just emailed these guys a few weeks ago and they said it was still on track for an early June release. I sent them another email today to see if the new release time frame was realistic, and what the holdup was.

·
Premium Member
4,806 Posts
I heard back from RetroSound and they said the holdup was on Apple's end. Apparently the new iPhones won't interface with radio, so RetroSound won't release the Model 2 with a known flaw. They'll wait until the new software is updated. I respect that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts