Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PO installed AutoMeter gauges. I removed the AutoMeter speedo wiring and this nut/attachment is what I'm left with.

In returning to an OEM set up (powerglide), do I just remove the nut/attachment that's there, and replace it with a bullet set up like this?: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=114723&highlight=speedo+bullet

When I take it out (assuming that's what I need to do), is trans fluid going to dump out? (You can see where it was squirting onto the pipes before... Lucky the damn car didn't catch fire.)

Will I find out if the proper gear is in there when I take out that attachment? The AutoMeter speedo set up was never calibrated and was off by about 50%. I'm hoping to get lucky and find the right gear in there.

Thanks in advance!

·
11,667 Posts
Zac, I suspect under that the silver nut is on the original bullet, just unscrew it and see :) If it is the bullet, just loosen the small retaining bolt and swing the retainer to the side to pull the bullet out. Once out, you need to be able to spin the driveshaft (or remove it) to count the number of teeth on the drive gear (also called the trans gear). Then go here http://www.novaresource.org/speedo.htm to figure the correct combo for your car.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
You will probably never get the correct transmission plastic gear. Call ISS(Instrument Sales and Service in Portland, OR 800-666-5469). They will have you 10 miles on the interstate and record the odometer reading at each mile marker, then average the odometer reading per mile. They will make a gear ratio adapter that screws on your "bullet" and your speedo cable screws onto the adapter. The adapter is about $50. The adapter also insulates, stops the trans oil, the trans from the speedo cable.
Starboard

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You will probably never get the correct transmission plastic gear. Call ISS(Instrument Sales and Service in Portland, OR 800-666-5469). They will have you 10 miles on the interstate and record the odometer reading at each mile marker, then average the odometer reading per mile. They will make a gear ratio adapter that screws on your "bullet" and your speedo cable screws onto the adapter. The adapter is about $50. The adapter also insulates, stops the trans oil, the trans from the speedo cable.
Starboard
That's pretty cool. Had no idea they could do that...

That said, I'm going to get under there tonight and see what I find when I take off the piece that's sitting there now. I'll let y'all know!

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Zac, I suspect under that the silver nut is on the original bullet, just unscrew it and see :)
I took off the silver nut, and lo and behold, the bullet was underneath it, just as you suspected! I rigged everything up and had my wife follow me out to the highway; got on the cell phones, and the speed is RIGHT on!

The only thing I'm worried about now is that, when I attached the cable to the bullet, it didn't fit quite the way I thought it would. The pin that goes into the bullet spins and fits fine, but the housing for the pin lines up against the bullet like two female ends -- that is, one piece doesn't fit over the other, like it does one the gauge end. I screwed the outer fitting onto the bullet fine, but there's still a little give when you wiggle the part that screws on... Is this normal? If I'm not being clear, let me know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts