Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my backup lights remain on constantly in my 69 with m20 tranny. Where is the switch located so it can be replaced?

·
10,144 Posts
My 67 was on a bracket attached to the trans cover. it had a rod that connected to the reverse arm on the trans.
There is a plug for the harness on the firewall just below the wiper motor. It is rubber and has two prongs on it and just plugs into the firewall half.
see if your's is like that.
David

------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I thought the 69 Muncie cars had a reverse lockout rod that connects to the steering column and also triggers the backup lights. You may be missing this rod and the connection at the steering column is causing them to remain on.

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
Yes, Jeff, on the right track for sure. '69 was the first year with the key in the column, and the "new" anti-theft stuff. There is supposed to be a rod/bellcrank arrangement from the reverse lever on the trans to the steering column. The key will only come out when the column "Thinks" the car is in reverse. This stuff was probable removed when someone put in a hurst shifter or headers. To make your backup lights go out, TURN the ring on the column just in from where the key is. But Remember, the key won't come out until the ring is back in the "reverse" position!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts