Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past I rewire my 69 camaro with American auto wire a direct fit not universal kit. It was alot of work, I had to cut wire to correct length and soldier connection ends for the rear/front lights and engine bay. My friend want me to help him rewire his 67 camaro is there a manufacture an actual direct fit with no cutting wire to fit and soldering electrical ends.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I have used quite a few American Auto Wire direct fit kits. I have never had the problem you are describing. Have been using their kits since the early 90"s. I know that their are many different versions in the kit and it can be confusing. The people to blame are GM not AAW. I have used Painless a cupple of times, but will not use them again. Depending on what he wants to do with the car a clasic update kit may be the answer.

·
Premium Member
12,510 Posts
American Auto Wires Factory Fit line

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not blaming GM or AAW. The AAW factory fit kit 500686 that I used or my 69 had three main harnesses under the dash was easy plug n play, but the trunk and engine area were measure cut and crimp and solder I had tons of extra wire from cutting to length. I expected 99% to be plug n play. The instructions and diagrams were excellent I still use them today. The problem is I don't want to spent too much free labor/time on someone else s car, I want it all to be almost all plug n play. Help me with a manufacture and part number.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I contacted AAW they don't have a direct fit package. In order to avoid cutting and crimping etc. you would have to order each wiring harness separate and that would cost over a $1100.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
I just put in the aaw lighting (rs ) and engine harness and it fit great!!! I'd spend the 1100

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I contacted AAW they don't have a direct fit package. In order to avoid cutting and crimping etc. you would have to order each wiring harness separate and that would cost over a $1100.
Well, that's the value of your labor then- spend $500 on a Classic Update kit and spend the time installing it, or spend $1,100 on a direct fit kit and make the install easier- you're going to pay one way or the other.

You can buy all the different harnesses from other vendors as well, and might come in at under $1,100, but the Classic Update setup is probably still the best bet.

Why are you wiring your friend's car for free, anyway?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts