Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My aftermarket passenger mirror on my 69 does not bend in and up far enough to be of any use.
I purchased an OER passenger side mirror that was a bit better but still could not bend enough to see cars to the right of me.

I was thinking about modifying the mirror to allow it to bend a bit more but wanted to first check and see if anyone out there has tried this?

I think I can use a drimel to shave some of the mirror ball socket down. This should allow the mirror to bend more but I don't want the mirror to flop around if I cut to much.
If it works/or does not I will post the results.

------------------

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wanted to let everyone know that I took a Drimel with a nibbler bit and was able to shave just enough off of the mirror mount shaft to allow the mirror to bend in a bit more. The mirror is angled perfect now and is actually useful.
The mirror when bent hides the area that I altered perfectly.
I can send pics of my modification if anyone is interested in doing this to fix their passenger side mirror.
Thanks,
My email is [email protected]

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ORENCH:
Good job John, You just jumped ahead of me on this one, I was thinking about doing the same. Now I now it works, Thanks.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ORENCH,
There was actually a mark on the ball shaft from where I was over bending the mirror before I ground it down. I used the mark as my guide to grind down the shaft. It only took a few seconds with my Drimel to notch the shaft so the mirror would be able to bend in a bit more. My modification did not loosen the mirror at all. You can't even see the mod when the mirror is bent in now.

In my case I just removed about 1/8th of the shaft or less and I was good to go.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Great mod. Thanks. And you even get improved power-to-weight as a freebie!

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts