Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought new LH & RH mirrors for my restored 69 SS350 camaro. Replaced the existing LH mirror with new one. Before remounting I measured hole positioning. Drilled identical hole positions on the Right door skin. Mounted the new RH mirror and found it to be totally useless. It doesn't swival enough to bring in a true rear viewing position. All I can see is basically whats beside me on the right. I wish I would have never got the idea of a right mirror. Has anyone ever experienced this problem? Thanks very much! Ray in Illinois........

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I definitely think your right Jody. I called the supplier of these mirrors and there answer was: Oh we've never heard of this problem before. Yea right! I guess with late model vehicle we've all gotten use to standard equipment RH mirrors and they have much more swivel position. I guess GM never perfected the mirrors back in 69'. Thanks for the feedback. Ray......

·
Registered
424 Posts
Could be just the reproduction mirros. My 69 has the original one and it adjusts fine. Bought a repro for my wife's 69 and it's useless.

Jamie
69 SS current restro
69 SS waiting for restro
Both clones

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I had the same problem with my 68's right hand mirror until I figured out that I had the right and left switched. Are you 100% sure you have a RH mirror? They WILL fit on the wrong side and they even look right.

·
Premium Member
5,329 Posts
Just installed a repro RH on my 69SS350, same result, THIS IS JUST NUTS!! Do't you think they would test this stuff before they put it on the market?...

·
Registered
565 Posts
My small mirror fix that worked.

My mirror had a rub spot where I tried to turn the mirror in and it would not go any further. I used that rub mark as my grinding point and just removed a little bit at a time. You only need to remove or grind down a small amount of the mirror ball shaft to get the mirror to come in enough. After you have ground the mirror shaft down the little bit that it takes, you should not be able to even see the modification once the mirror is turned in.

You should remove the mirror from the car before grinding it down. I used a drimmel with a nibbler bit to take down the shaft. It grinds down fast so take a little bit at a time.

·
Premium Member
5,329 Posts
Jrager, Great Idea, I'm going to dig out my Drimmel and do the same thing, All my other cars have a right side mirror and the Camaros not working is driving me crazy! (which is a short drive) thanks adain...

·
Premium Member
4,817 Posts
Also, you don't need to adjust the mirror so you're looking down the side of the car. In fact, having it show the shoulder is about right for covering the typical blind spots. Having said that, mine still needed a 'tweak'. Good suggestion.

------------------
Rick Dorion
69 RS Conv,355,M20,4.10's and I don't worry about stone chips ( yet ).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.