Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new member here, and have been working at restoring a 67 with some changes. The engine is the original 327 now with hydraulic roller cam, aluminum heads etc.. I've followed the Pozzi Racing site instructions for installing a Richmond 5 speed. (very helpful ! ) The problem I've run into is that Hurst no longer makes a shifter for the Richmond
5 speed. Any suggestions of what I can use? I would like the shifter to fit in the original console. Many thanks for any helpful ideas.

· Registered
68 Base Camaro, 355 Offy crossram, Richmond Street close ratio 5 spd, 92K SoCal car
3,290 Posts
RJC67 welcome to the site! Richmond uses shifters manufactured by a company called "Long Shifters". They make about 8 different shift levers that can be bolted onto the shifter body. Hurst Competition Plus levers will also bolt to a Long shifter body. I have the old original Richmond Close Ratio 5 speed (formerly Dough Nash). There is no overdrive 5th gear is 1:1. This transmission as well as other current Richmond Super Street models utilize a very large split case that was NASCAR inspired design. Necessary to house the larger heavy duty gears, which are non-helical (straight cut) design. As a result of the case design the shifter sits slightly higher and left of center to the tunnel centerline. I looked at EVERY Hurst and Long handle and none of them position them far enough back towards centerline to work with a console IMO. Most levers are too tall and position the shifter too close the steering wheel for me. I ended up with a Hurst lever & cutting it shorter, then drilling the attach holes to bolt it in. To use the factory shifter boot & bezel I had to slightly add some width to drivers side of tunnel, can be done without cutting or welding. I also used a B&M reverse light microswitch to retain the backup lights bc no one makes a switch for the linkage and this was much easier than frabricating one. Google or search Summit Racing for the Hurst & Long levers. The dimensions for each optional levers are shown.

This is a great transmission and worth the trouble making it work. It's geared great and low. You can run 3.08 rearend gears and it's identical geared 1-4 to close ratio M21 or 22 car with 4.56. The Muncie car will be done 1:1 in 4th turning 3972 rpm @ 70mph. The Richmond car is the same in 4th but is 1.5:1, shift it to 5th now 3.08 1:1 @70mph rpm is 2683! FYI gears 1-4:
RICHMOND 2.73 = MUNCIE 4.11
RICHMOND 3.08 = MUNCIE 4.56
RICHMOND 3.31 = MUNCIE 4.88
Font Vehicle Parallel Engineering Machine

My Long shifter w/ modified Hurst handle & factory shift boot & bezel. Shown in 1st gear.
Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

Pic shows how high the Long body sits through tunnel. A Hurst offset lever I tried but ended up not using. Shown in 1st gear. Old desert baked carpet. Yes only 1 of the 2 shift lever bolts was installed through the attachment block for this mock ip. I was checking a lot of different shift levers that day to find one I liked.
Black Tableware Tablecloth Serveware Dishware

Original Long lever on same Long shifter, no offest and that is in 1st gear as shown bc Long lever was curved. 2nd, 4th & R were way too far aft.
Output device Audio equipment Automotive tire Gadget Communication Device

· Registered
68 Base Camaro, 355 Offy crossram, Richmond Street close ratio 5 spd, 92K SoCal car
3,290 Posts
RJC67 there is always a way to make it work. Just not an easy solution for me to do myself. Someone can probably fabricate an offset to get handle more centered. Considered that but outside my skill set & concerned about strength with a long sideways arm on shift lever moving the force so far away from the centerline of the shifter. Long term might not be good.

Also have you driven or shifted the trans yet? Reason I ask is they are stiff like a Tremec TKO 500/600 series, hard to really speed shift. There is a solution to split the case halves and change synchros to make them much smoother like a Muncie. If I ever have mine out I plan on doing this. Worth viewing just to learn about the Richmond. Two part video. While video shows Richmond 4+1 (5 speed OD)it applies to Richmond 5 and 6 speed also.

Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior Gas Automotive design

· Registered
3,290 Posts
RJC67 after Crash posted I decided I'd better take a look again at exactly where the factory Muncie with Hurst shifter sits in relation tunnel centerline. I was wrong the factory tunnel hole is way further left than I remember it being. Crash is right you may be able to use the console with a Hurst, or maybe even a Long shifter(y)

Heartbeaty City sells an aluminum template to locate where the factory hole was. If you need to cut a hole they have one for a 69 and a 67. Different part numbers, must be different bc 67/8 used a Muncie shifter while 69 used Hurst? Can't imagine its that different. 67 is out of stock, 69 is pn TRN -1376. My problem was the 68 factory boot bezel was too wide to sit on tunnel with Richmond & Long shifter, so obviously its further left than factory 4 speeds. That led me to so to extend the tunnel slightly. The Richmond moved the shifter itself further to left rather then centered on boot.
Font Rectangle Output device Parallel Brand

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks SY1, Melmount and crashent, for all the information and photos. I bought the car when my son was a teenager. He's now 37, the car sat disassembled for almost 20 years, I guess life got in the way. I purchased the Richmond about 12 years ago, recently fabricated a crossmember ala Pozzi racing's site so it's never been used. That's great information and video about the stiff shifting characteristics. I just now ordered the shift hole template and the order went through so Heartbeat city has restocked. Also just took a photo of the car that I'll try to post. Thanks to you

all again.
Vehicle Car Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts