Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1968 SS 4-speed convertible in the last stages of restoration. The car was lower by three inches on the right rear and an inch high on the left front. I had all the springs and shocks replaced. I still have the same ride height problem. I was told that this may be caused by the frame being twisted by years of hard acceleration and "banging" through the gears. Is this possible? Any other possibilities?

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
When the springs were replaced (front and rear), were the bushing bolts tightened with the car on wheels with the engine in it, or were they tightened with the car on a lift or with the wheels off the ground? Are the front springs properly oriented in the seats?

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car was on a lift with no weight on the wheels when the bushing bolts were tightened. The front springs are seated correctly. The amount of drop in the right rear is almost exactly the same as it was before new springs were installed.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The car has to be sitting on the tires and have all the weight in it before tightening things up. The amount that the rear end is off COULD have caused the front end to be off as well. Sorry to say it but you will have to loosen everything back up and sit the car on all fours and re-tighten.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked again with the person who installed the springs. The bushing bolts were tightened with the weight on the wheels. He feels the frame has twisted over the years and needs to be straightened. Is this likely? Has anyone heard of this being a problem with high performance convertibles?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
If you can find a good body or frame shop that uses good frame equipment, they can put the guages on the car and tell you if the frame is off. I would expect to pay $50 - $100 for this service but it might vary depending on your location.
When I say good frame equipment, I'm speaking of a Chief EZ Liner or simular, drive on type rack.

[This message has been edited by Toby Keen (edited 04-22-2002).]

·
Registered
235 Posts
Do the doors line up straight from top to bottom where they shut? I've always heard this to be a problem with some convertibles over the years especially ones missing the "X" frame support bracket. You would think if the frame was off some that the doors would be off some also.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the comments. The car is going to the frame shop this week to be checked. I'll post the results.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The frame is now aligned within 1/16th of an inch. The car still sags about 2" at the right rear. The springs were loosened and re-tightened. All parts are moving without difficulty. We are now switching the left and right rear springs on the off chance, one set is defective. The x-brace is in place and the doors line up. The only other problem is that I am having difficulty aligning the top. I'm running out of ideas. Anything I can try?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts