Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My right rear taillight on my 1969 Camaro is dimmer than the left one. Looks like a ground maybe. Where would I look to find that ground. Wiring is not my thing but I think I can figure it out. Thanks, Jerod

·
11,457 Posts
Switch the bulbs from side to side. If the dimmness follows, then you do not have the correct candles power of lamps. If it stays on the same side, then it could be the ground. The ground starts at the plug end of the harness and actually splits into mulitple legs to feed the bulbs. It is possible for a leg to have a weak connection and the rest do not. If you have a ground issue and do not know wiring, get a new taillamp wiring harness.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
If the sockets have been replaced or messed with it is possible that the wires were switched going to the socket. As in the tail light wire is connected to the brake light lead, this would be on the brighter blub.

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
Assuming correct lamp

Thge ground is as describes above, but u will find the problem will be in the socket connection joint

Does the lamp tend to blow more often than the rest?
inspect the lamp glass ..does it have a blackish/silvering coating on the inside of the glass?
Bloth of the above indicate a bad ground.....the bad ground is a resistance in the circuit...this draws extra current...sort of 'sucks' extra current thru the lamp, over heats the filtment, which tends to vapourise a little, and the metal condenses on the inside of the glass.

Check and clean the blub holder and where the wires go in...
If fresh paint...use a star washer to cut thru to metal on the ground to the body,,,,or just clean up.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Fwiw, I had a similar problem when I first got my 68. I spent hours trying to troubleshoot the wiring, sockets, bulbs, etc. and finally gave up. Pretty sure I had 2 bad sockets so I replaced all 4 sockets, put in new bulbs, and ran an extra ground lead. Haven't had a problem since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts