Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced all the bulbs in the front and rear wiring harnesses and replaced both rear brake/turn signal sockets in my 68. Headlights, markers, tailights all come on when light switch is on. Both tail lights become brighter when brakes are applied. Left turn signal works both front and back, as do flashers. Left turn signal dash light indicator also works. However, right side front and back don't flash and the right side dash turn signal indicator does not come on at all when flashers on or right turn signal applied. Test light works when applied at all sockets. If the dash light turn signal indicator doesn't come on (blown bulb?), does that affect the turn signals in the front and rear? What am I missing? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts
Yes, not having the indicator light will make turn signals faulty.
Only happens when using a 512 flasher, the short one.
Try a 552 heavy duty unit, long one and turn signals will more than likely work.
Still need a bulb for the indicator unless its socket is not making good contact on the back of the cluster.
Might pull the socket with bulb out and check bulb and maybe pull up lightly on the copper tabs of the socket and reassemble and test.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Along with everything Everett mention, check that the actual bulbs have been installed correctly.

Dual element bulbs such as the ones in the tail lights/turn signals only go into their socket one way. I can't tell you how many times I have seen these bulbs forced into the socket the wrong way. This will cause frustrating problems like shorts, weird behaviour (similar to yours) and countless other problems..

Vic

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys. I replaced the bulbs in the circuit board. The right turn signal indicator was a bit corroded so I cleaned it and lifted the tabs. Still no turn signal indicator and no turn signal to the right. Lights come on and stay on. However, everything works with flashers on, exceptthe turn signal indicator. I think maybe the circuit board needs replaced. With that minor corrosion in there, it may have gotten wet at some point and could be shot on the right side? I will also try the heavy duty flasher. Thanks again.

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
double check your grounds at all the locations... just in case... grounds are the #1 problem with the elec. issues we see in here :)

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts
You might check the dark blue wire in the cluster connector during rt hand turn for indicator.
No turn indicator power, check column connector.
You might even jumper power to the indicator to test for turn signal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the feedback! I replaced the circuit board , flasher, and ran new ground wires. The sockets were a little touchy. They had to be just right on the circuit board. All lighting is working properly insode and out! Thanks again for the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts