Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
67 with 14" rims

Looking at this kit to convert to front power disc.
Right Stuff Detailing AFXDC14 Right Stuff Detailing Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 14 in. Wheels | Summit Racing

Anyone use this kit?
Comments?

I have PB now so not sure why I would need a new booster. MC yeah but IDK if my current booster talks to this MC

I have downloaded 2 sets of instructions. The kit I link shows it comes with a new booster but instructions do not include any 411 on that but their instructions for another kit involving swapping spindles does. I assume it is just like replacing the booster I have now but weird no mention of its install for the AFXDC14 kit

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On further review of the install instructions I downloaded, the proportioning valve thread/pitch size for the fittings for front & rear brake lines are:

Front L&R: 3/8-24
Rear: 9/16-18

Those sizes appear to be different than the stock line fittings. If so this kit is far from plug & play

Anyone know the actual sizes of the stock brake line fittings for a drum car?

would there be adapter fittings available to bridge the different sizes?

I see Right stuff sells complete new brake hard lines but in the Q&A notes it says the fittings are the same size as stock

1967 Right Stuff Detailing FKT67DC Right Stuff Detailing Brake Line Sets | Summit Racing

On my car one of the front brake line fittings, one fitting that attaches to the front of the distribution block, is larger than the one for the PS brake line that attaches to the side of the distribution (proportioning) block

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Further web search says stock metering block line fitting size is: (end of video)

1/2-20=front (port on front of block)
3/8-24= front (port on side of block
1/2-20= rear (port on rear of block)

Since the port sizes on the Right Stuff proportioning block are:
3/8-24= front L&R lines
9/16-18= rear brake line

So I need these reverse flare adapters
1/2-20 female to 3/8-24 male reverse flare
Amazon.com: (E-10-13) 1/2-20 Male 3/8-24 Female Inverted Flare Brake Line Adapter Master Cylinder GM (E-10-13): Automotive
and 1/2-20 female to 9/16-18 male reverse flare
Amazon.com: Earl's Hardline Adapter, 1/2"-20 Inverted Flare Male to 9/16"-18 Inverted Flare Female for 3/16": Automotive

I can call Right Stuff tech to verify what size the kit valve is but their instructions do note them. Would be great if the kit included these adapters as it appears the fitting sizes are different. I suspect some line bending will also be needed

Given the kit comes with the lines from MC to block...I assume those fit so don't have to adapt my stock ones.

Anyone install the RS kit and was it a direct fit to stock brake line fittings or did you need adapters?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did speak with Right Stuff Tech and got the specific install instructions for the kit emailed and 411 on the proportioning valve involved with the kit. I bought adapter fittings for my lines to attach to the RS block. Needed 7/16-24 F to 9/16-18 M inverted flare (rear line) and 1/2-20 F to 3/8-24 M inverted flare for one of the front lines. Kit comes with a 9" booster

I will post after I install the kit

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kevin

The kit showed up today. just ordered it yesterday but Summit gets to me next day from Sparks, NV with just regular ground shipping. 3 boxes

Initial review is components look to be very nice quality. Timkin, made in USA, bearings

I still need to get another inverted flare adapter and now just holding up the proportioning valve against the stock one in car I would like to get a 90 degree 3/8-24 M/F inverted flare adapter also so I don't have to "coax" one of the stock lines to attach to under the block vs the side like it does on my stock set up.

I do have a tube bender if I need to massage the stock lines to new orientations into the new proportioning valve. No doubt once I get the booster/MC in there will be some line tweaking needed

Right Stuff did email me addendum pages for installing the caliper brackets to stock spindle. It notes there "may" be some minimal filing of the stock spindle mating surface where they bolt to "if" the caliper bracket does not sit dead nuts vertical. It was not part of the printed instructions that come with the kit. They recommend just mocking up the bracket to spindle first to check and file if needed. The pushrod for booster is adjustable

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,562 Posts
Roger, You'll want to have thick copper crush washers on hand for mounting the banjo fittings to the calipers. The washers provided in the kit are too thin to seal due to the torque required, casting flash, etc. It's typical of these calipers no matter the manufacturer. Just lacks attention to detail.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the note Al. There are copper washers on now. I have not pulled them off the caliper but will look closer at what they are. I have some others in my parts stash if needed

Like any other mod, I suspect there will be a few "oh by the way" issues as I proceed. The addendum pages I was emailed are an example of what likely was tech call ?'s of slight interference mating the caliper bracket to spindle where minimal filing "may" be needed that they had to address. Those pages are not included in the install instructions shipped with kit. Also no mention of MC or booster install procedure.

The MC/booster came assembled as a unit. I will pull the MC and bench bleed. The kit did include the short plastic hoses to purge the fluid back into MC while pumping it to bleed.

The one fitting I need to attach my rear line to proportioning valve is not available from typical (Russell, Earls, etc) brake line/fitting sources. Inline was the only one I could find by either ordering direct from them ($4) or Amazon. 9/16-18 M to 7/16-24F inverted flare. I have the 3/8-24 M to 1/2-20 F inverted flare one for one of the front brake lines. The other is already 3/8-24 so it is a direct fit. I will need to bend my lines some to connect to the new proportioning valve

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought the.same kit and fitted about 8 months ago. It's a brilliant kit. I used the copper washers it came with and haven't had a problem. I can't help with the adaptors as I bought a hand held flaring tool and cut off the old rear pipe nut, and I think a pipe nut from the old MC was the right size so I put that on a redone the flare. Same for the fronts I cut the old nuts off and put the new sizes on. Really easy kit to do, love having power discs. It's quite a change from manual drums.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^^^^Good to hear

I do have a cheap flare tool but I would need to buy the new flare fittings or just buy the fitting adapters which are $4-5 each and makes it plug & play. I only need 2 adapters to make it all work.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I Same for the fronts I cut the old nuts off and put the new sizes on.
You had to put new fittings on the front hard line to soft lines?

the lines that come with the kit are 3/8-24 inverted flare. Did the stock line fitting thread on RS brake hose or are your stock ones 7/16-20?

Mine are 3/8-24 fitting at the hard to soft line connection.

·
Registered
54 Posts
No the fitting to the Flexi hoses were the same. Your right only one of the front brake lines has the wrong size nut. But I just Changed both (3/8-24 nuts) as I had the tools to do so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts