Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whoooa! I fired up my 67 the other day and when I use the right turn signal the entire dash starts to flash. The turn signal lights themselves do not turn on. Sounds like a bad ground or a bad switch or something? Could this be something grounding out inside the steering column or could it be something else? Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting this electrical demon? :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Maybe disconnect the harness at the column get your meter out and check for shorts in the column when you move the blinker lever,once that checks good move down the rest of the harness.
At least that's where I might start.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
It could be a bad bulb, where the contacts in the bulb are touching causing the power to back feed into the dash harness. The taillights, marker, park, and dash are all on the same circuit. I have also heard of LED bulbs causing the same issue.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think it is the bulbs as I have converted to the LED digitail tail lights. Haven't had an issue for several years up to this point. I have a feeling that you are correct in that someplace the circuit is getting grounded. The question is where. I thought I would start with the steering column since that is the thing that is always moving and could cause a wire to ground out but I think I will check all my wiring as well as the digitail lights for ground issues since they are easier to get to. Any other thoughts fellas?

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
67 & 68 are notorious for failed dash instrument cluster grounds. The original design is a metal paperclip like device at the top mounting point. Tighten this connection by the high beam indicator up and see if problem goes away. If it does consider that many people have added a real ground wire from the cluster housing to the dash frame to make a real maintainable ground.

It could also be the ground of the front right parking lamp as well.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
It could be a bad bulb, where the contacts in the bulb are touching causing the power to back feed into the dash harness. The taillights, marker, park, and dash are all on the same circuit. I have also heard of LED bulbs causing the same issue.
Bad bulb. I agree. I have had this happen more then once.

·
Retired
16,013 Posts
Id vote for ground issues too. Just guessing but Id wager that 80% of elec. gremlins are ground issues. Get a bag of star washers and some sand paper and touch up any grounding points you can reach, clean it up, sand it, star washer it, then replace bolt or screw. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts