Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys , another damn 69 wheel question,,, i want to run a 18 x 10.5 rear on my stock rear 69. I have a 17 x 9.5 now. with a 275 tyre. No lip trim.It looks like plenty of room for another inch outward.

If i keep same backspace 5 1/2 and run a 275 tyre whats my chances ?
I love the look of the 'barry white rear end on sivler camaro.

Regard,

Gav

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
I don't think you have a chance. But i could be wrong and if i am, there will be allot of work to get them to fit including trimming and pounding. I have here 18x9.5 with 5.5 back space on a stock 12-Bolt with drums.... Tire is 285/40/18 next set will be 275/40/18 to prevent that little rub.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Personally, I think you are asking for problems with a 10.5" with stock rear set-up! stick with the 9.5. Let's see what others think.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinkin that your really just pulling the same size tyre out (275)with the rim an inch but tread stays same.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
I was thinkin that your really just pulling the same size tyre out (275)with the rim an inch but tread stays same.
If you look at both cars rear tires you can se my 285 hang out off the lip more then his. So you might have a slim chance :yes:.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks to me he is over rimmed and possibly under tyred.???
I did email his shop but had no response.
I am coming to calif in march to do some serious shopping for the car.
Cant wait! first time visitor

·
Registered
657 Posts
Unless your car has replacement sheet metal you have NO CHANCE! Even if it does I still don't think you're getting something that wide without severe modifications. The "biggest" combination I have seen on a "stock" type set up that sits "right" is the Foose Camaro. That car has a 18x10 with a 295/35-18 tire. There is NO outside fender lip. It is rolled up flat against the 1/4 and there is almost no room in the inner wheel house. 1st of all a 10.5 wheel is really 11.5 wide. 2nd take a VERY CLOSE LOOK at that silver car. How high does it sit? The wheel opening is above the tire. I am willing to bet there is NO lip left on that 1/4 panel. Besides that what brand billet wheel comes in 10.5 width? I can't think of one. I know I'm sounding like a real smart a$$ but you are going to have to butcher the car and have the car sit high in order to get that combination on. Just because you get it on doesn't mean it "fits".

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my rim and tyre clearance ....

·
Registered
657 Posts
OK here's my take on this. Most of us agree after you fit your wheel/tire combination you need a minimum of a 1/2" clearence between the tire and the body. If you use a 10.5 wheel it is a total of 11.5 wide from edge to edge. Do you have 12.5" of room? If you do and that's what you want go for it. Most of us also agree on a stock (untouched - original 1/4s - which I have) there is 11.5" of room to play with. These cars vary greatly and some have a little more room than others. Many people say that replacement 1/4s have a little more room. There is also room to steal by rolling fender lips and pounding in inner wheel wells. Ride height - spring rate - weight in the car all have an effect on how much room you need. That's why some guys can't get 275s on 9.5s to work. That's also why some guys can get a 285 on a 10 to work. Do the math - check it 2xs and decide if you want to try it. Just keep in mind if it doesn't work it's not going to be inexpensive or easy to rectify (and your location isn't going to be an asset either). Good luck with what ever you decide.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Here is a my old set up:

18x10..5.75bs........275/40/18

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting ,,, could you post some other pics of this wheel combo? did you run with standard diff and multis on rear too? how was the rub with this set up?
thanx for reply ! :beers:

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Man Ron: Your car sure looks tough:yes:, how do you like your Caltracs?
Thanks Skip! I like them alot....kinda stiff on the street but it not to bad. I bet your 496 will be quicker than my sbc...yours is gonna be a terror!

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Thanks Skip! I like them alot....kinda stiff on the street but it not to bad. I bet your 496 will be quicker than my sbc...yours is gonna be a terror!
Hey Ron did you sell that Pro-System, i just talk to Patrick today and he is building me a 4150 1000HP Pro-System for my combo... I dont think quicker, your car is nicley set up for that 1/4 mile pass.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Hey Ron did you sell that Pro-System, i just talk to Patrick today and he is building me a 4150 1000HP Pro-System for my combo... I dont think quicker, your car is nicley set up for that 1/4 mile pass.
Nope..still have it. You should have hit me up! The HP950 would have been fine for your motor. I could have save ya a few bucks.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Nope..still have it. You should have hit me up! The HP950 would have been fine for your motor. I could have save ya a few bucks.
Dam i thought the other TC member was PM you to buy it... So i didn't want to interfere with the deal. Yes that would have save me about 190.00 bucks :mad:... Thought for sure it was sold.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here is a my old set up:

18x10..5.75bs........275/40/18

Just Wondering....Do u have some special suspension set up on your camaro to fit the wheels & Tires? Love the way it looks..but did u have any problems fitting them? I have a 1969 camaro new poly in the front...and going to replace my rear leafs to detroit leafs later when I can afford it..lol...Anyways I am not sure what I want to do thinking maybe u guys could give me some advice....I kinda want to have it lowered 2" to get good handling and to have that low look to it....But I really like having fat tires on it..and dont want to spend the money to get narrowed control arms for the front to run fat tires right now...I will be buying the wheels here in a few weeks and the car is @ stock height right now...what wheel and tire size and backspacing would u recommend if I went with stock height...The fater the better..lol...(I do have that fender lip to)Front & Back....Thanks for ur help Matt

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Matt nothing crazy on mine. Here is what I have:

2" front drop springs
3" rear drop springs

18x8 front..5" bs
18x10 rear 5.75 bs

245/40/18..front
275/40/18 rear

rear quater lips are trimmed

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Blacky,

How's your economy down under??

Our's kinda SUCK'S is why I ask.

After greed kicked in on the Mortgage Bubble, we became the troublemakers of the world is all..

pdq67

1 - 20 of 21 Posts